thoughts and advise on flatworm exit

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started noticing flat worms on the glass of my tank...bought flat worm exit..when i opened the box and started reading i realized i would be in over my head...any advice would be appreciated...thanks again

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flatworms?
Some are harmless and populations will fluctuate with the tank.
Also, Ive heard of a way to stun them so they lose their "stickiness" and then you can mechanical filter them out rather than nuke them and worry about the poison they release.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170221_101905.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get @Lionfish Lair
I think they're the good ones-mine looked transparent. No fish in the system at the time. They died off eventually. Haven't seen one in months when I had maybe 20 in my 10 gal

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same thing. Mine are kind of brown with a pin head and their tail looks like it is kind of split. Had a bunch, didn't see them for a while, then now have quite a few. Luckily I just got a flasher wrasse in about a week ago, and will be adding him out of QT soon, so I am hoping he will go after them. Not sure of anything else I can do, but the flatworm exit looked like it could do more damage than the flatworms themselves! :)

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. LOL! I have a McCosker that I am hoping will enjoy dining on them and am checking at the LFS for a yellow corris wrasse later this week.
YASSSSS canary wrasse :D
Ive had one on order for 2 months at the lfs and after one died in transit hes finally in their qt. Now its just a waiting game lol

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, those are the "good" Ghost Flatworms.

How many do you have in there? Is it just at the waterline? Is your tank new?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered them after I had purchased coral from a known online vendor. Damaged a lot of high end SPS, went looking and there they were, transparent flatworms. I dipped in Bayer, flatworms came off. Decided after reading reviews I would try KZ Flatworm Stop. Corals seem to like it, supposed to make corals taste bad to the flatworms. So far it's doing alright.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today I counted twenty...I see them mostly laying on the sand bed (looks like they are laying out for a tan.)..some are on the bottom third of the glass...and crawl up the seals....I did see one the other day on a frag plug. ..I don't see any visual effects on any coral...but it has me concerned. ..on the age of the tank ....I bought it ten years ago (fowlr)...work made it impossible for me to take care of...I gave it to a family member. ..she gave it back to me six months ago.....the only thing I did was swap everything to new glass...

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

looking at the pictures in your link they look like red menace to me ...should i get some better pics?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the change over it probably went through a mini cycle which leads to greater numbers of diatoms and such, which in turns feeds the copepods and their numbers climb who in turn yet again, feed the flatworms. Eventually, the diatoms dwindle, the pods dwindle and then the flatworms dwindle.... usually.

Yours look like a species of Convolutriloba. Their numbers can definitely climb when they're fed well. Problem is, they can also use your light as energy once the food is gone. That's where the clear ones (Ghost Flatworms) are at a disadvantage. Once the food is gone, there's no other energy source for the Ghosts to turn to, so they die off. Their numbers don't climb because they are usually limited by the numbers of pods.

As far as advice on the Flatworm Exit... I don't have any. It's not something I would use personally.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the pictures in your link they look like red menace to me ...should i get some better pics?

:) We posted at the same time. Yes, I agree, they are a species of Convolutriloba.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a juvenile clown wrasse i got at the lfs...he said this guy would eat them...he was wrong...does anything else eat them

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm exit works! If you have a lot then the toxin they release can kill a lot of things in your tank. If you don'thave a lot i recomend dosing flatworm exit right away!

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm exit works! If you have a lot then the toxin they release can kill a lot of things in your tank. If you don'thave a lot i recomend dosing flatworm exit right away!
should i move fish and corals to the qt tank before

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back