Thoughts? I think my clam is in bad shape

  • Thread starter Thread starter IloveLPS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

IloveLPS

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
27
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a clam today shipped to me. When I opened the box, the clam was partially open in the bag and the tissue was receded. Shouldn't it have been closed tight?
I've been watching it all day and it looks like it's gaping to me. It's a 3" squamosa clam. And when I shade it, it doesn't react what so ever. Even if I touch it's shell slightly, nothing. Pretty sure it should close shut, right?

I don't know what to think honestly. Thoughts anyone?
 
Oh yeah, I forgot to add them in.
Snapchat-20140307095428.jpg
Snapchat-20140307085217.jpg
 
It doesn't look good :( Grab it underwater and move it around, this is called burping it. It may have gotten exposed to air, trapping it inside.
 
Last edited:
It doesn't look good :( May have air caught in it. Grab it underwater a move it around this is called burping it. It may have gotten exposed to air, trapping it inside.

I feared that :( I should just move it around? I'll give it my best try.
 
I wouldn't touch it or do anything to stress it at all. Are you running carbon on your tank or any type of phosphate removers?
 
I'd get some carbon and run it in a media filter or a high flow area of the tank, carbon can be a miracle worker for clams.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new