Thoughts on adding Cipro in display tank?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanna make sure my small fuge light won’t mess with this treatment.
It may lower the antibiotic treatment but that’s why I dosed the way I did lol , I also used a turkey baster with flow off to make sure the nems received the cipro

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may lower the antibiotic treatment but that’s why I dosed the way I did lol , I also used a turkey baster with flow off to make sure the nems received the cipro
My nems aren’t the issue… my LPS and SPS have all died this year after an alk spike and now all my new LPS heads keep popping off Or just dying. Definitely had Brown jelly on a bunch of the LPS that died but it never wiped my tank instantly. Just all LPS slowly die off over a course of a few months. The last few to die I’ve had for over a year. I definitely think I have that bad bacteria lingering in my water.

some other guy messaged me saying he dosed 1 500mg pill per 25 gallons! Seems excessive!

Goldenvue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing 1 500 mg for 5 days did wc two days off now starting another 5 days. And Have about 230 twv. Doing it at 2 am skimmer off till Morning

jaw1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me myself and I lol
I only dosed during lights out because the light would hinder it. I didn’t perform any water changes even after completing treatment. I started with an initial dose of 500mg to kickstart then 250mg daily for 10 days. I think that cipro is overall beneficial and I had no I’ll effects on anything
Did you ever have any ill effects from using that much cipro?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have any ill effects from using that much cipro?
None at all , maybe more algae on the glass? I did notice the glass got dirtier when dosing maybe caused bacterial changes and allowed for more algae? Not too sure but nothing negative

Attachments

• FF7C055B-5CC0-4515-A22B-A76845ABADC7.jpeg
    FF7C055B-5CC0-4515-A22B-A76845ABADC7.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 29

chadloomis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little late but i would 10/10 recommend trying cipro. it doesn't affect your beneficial bacteria like everyone assumes, it actually will improve your biodiversity population. an unnamed bacteria in the family of acrobacter is known to be present when BJD is in your tank and will actually become the most abundant bacteria (in water column, not surfaces) and the bacteria that specialize in oxidizing nitrite and ammonia are out competed and become nearly undetectable in just the first day of infection. meaning your water becomes toxic quick which could explain why BJD works so fast once it shows itself. i believe that tissue recession and loss of polyp extension are signs of stress caused by bacterial infection and is early onset of BJD. actrobacter is known to be a nasty bacteria and cipro is very effective against bacteria in the acrobacter family (strains that effect humans/animals) in small doses and not strong enough to hurt anything else (small doses) allowing you biodiversity to stabilize. within 12 hours you will see PE improvement. 24 hours you should see a complete 180 in the infected corals. 10 days after first dose your tank will be back to normal.
now, i dont have any evidence to back this up but i use it all the time. i read a study a guy did on it and since then ive been using it. it hasnt ever failed me, as long as there is 1 head that doesnt have BJD visibly present you can save it. i have seen it kill BJD off in a matter of hours. if you can see jelly on the head it will probably die but ive had infected heads with jelly rubbing all over a head that hasnt nuked yet and was able to save it with cipro. never have i ever been able to save something like that before.
i will wait till my QT is full of coral then dose cipro prior to adding anything to DT. if you have ever had BJD you will have acrobacter in that tank until you kill it off and its a matter of time till something is stressed and cant fight it off. then you have an infection and that coral becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.
im no biologist but this stuff works for me and i dont thinks its one of those things that will work for 1 person and not the other. as long as you dose correctly. i use 500mg pill per 25g and i dose every other day for a total of 3 doses and doing small water change the day between each dose
not enough people know about this and i think more should. i think people get scared of it because its an antibiotic and bacteria is what makes a reef tank possible. if youre losing to bacterial infection, you wont have much to lose before long so why not try it?
You’re dosing a single 500mg pill per 25 gallons? So a 150 total volume would need 3,000mg?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back