Thoughts on gorgonian?

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first attempt at this type of coral got this guy Monday night from 333aquatics off eBay. I started it off in my macro tank. Would this be correct spectrum for these guys? I’ve seen them in the upper parts of reef tanks but though it being from shallower water would do better in brighter lights. All the research I’ve done says mod/high flow and mod/high light. After 2 days this is what is guy looks like. Not looking so hot IMO. Am I finding bad information on these guys was my seller right is the light to intense?

5AF73A45-5F17-443B-8579-E4A2BCCB4F81.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is my first attempt at this type of coral got this guy Monday night from 333aquatics off eBay. I started it off in my macro tank. Would this be correct spectrum for these guys? I’ve seen them in the upper parts of reef tanks but though it being from shallower water would do better in brighter lights. All the research I’ve done says mod/high flow and mod/high light. After 2 days this is what is guy looks like. Not looking so hot IMO. Am I finding bad information on these guys was my seller right is the light to intense?

Elevate and needs medium light and water flow. Feed Phyto occasionally to tank

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gently brush the algae build up off the coral arms. Make sure it is getting plenty of flow, just not direct. Gorgs tend to like a tidal flow.
Also, gorgs like to eat. Make sure to temp them with small amount of gorg food on and off a while till it begins to open up a bit.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be disheartened if it doesn't thrive. Many photosynthetic species are very hit-or-miss, and many people who try them (and fail) are put off them after watching them thrive for months, and grow, but then die for little apparent reason. They do like moderate light and flow, and with any luck yours will thrive.

I very much recommend that you get a frag of Grube's Gorgonian, which has tan or pinkish polyps, and cultivate that as well. They're almost completely indestructible and are fine for new tanks. I bought a frag for my Evo last year, and it's grown like a weed since then.

E3E2CB3E-5FD6-4ED2-A980-0BBB066791C3.jpeg

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be disheartened if it doesn't thrive. Many photosynthetic species are very hit-or-miss, and many people who try them (and fail) are put off them after watching them thrive for months, and grow, but then die for little apparent reason. They do like moderate light and flow, and with any luck yours will thrive.

I very much recommend that you get a frag of Grube's Gorgonian, which has tan or pinkish polyps, and cultivate that as well. They're almost completely indestructible and are fine for new tanks. I bought a frag for my Evo last year, and it's grown like a weed since then.

E3E2CB3E-5FD6-4ED2-A980-0BBB066791C3.jpeg
Awesome thanks you guys for the help. I’ll definitely take you up on the recommendation. I love the look of gongorinas in general. This guys is losing more and more flesh. I do have it in the bottom section of my Macroalgae tank the light is pretty moderate and is in a higher flow area. Once most of the flesh is gone can it recover or is it pretty much a tragedy from that point?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That coral has been dying for a long time now, Sorry to be the one carrying the bad news but that’s a goner

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, if flesh is peeling away, it is a goner. Try the aquacultured ones. Much easier! The top left pale gorg is a grubes. It grows like crazy.

Attachments

• left 3-18.jpg
    left 3-18.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
  • middle 3-18.jpg
    middle 3-18.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 30
  • right 3-18.jpg
    right 3-18.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 29

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back