thoughts on H2O barrels for AWC that once had Hydrogen peroxide -H2o2?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the help guys. I'll wait and see what others say. I am in no hurry.
I had a place all lined up but then contacted them and there now is a many month list and not taking new people.
guess ppl are hording drinking water.

lets see what the chemist say.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy can verify the validity of this statement but it looks like Peroxyacetic acid decomposes to hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid when it’s added to water.

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people use peracetic acid (peroxyacetic) to sanitize large fish tanks systems. They say it’s really nasty stuff when you are using it but breaks down fast and after a rinse is fish safe. Breweries also use it to sanitize there brewing systems so it must be food safe after some point.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people use peracetic acid (peroxyacetic) to sanitize large fish tanks systems. They say it’s really nasty stuff when you are using it but breaks down fast and after a rinse is fish safe. Breweries also use it to sanitize there brewing systems so it must be food safe after some point.

good to know. not knowing much of chemistry out side of reefing. I am going to hold off and see of our local reef chemist chimes in before I jump on it.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used peroxyacetic acid to clean aquarium items - sanitize QT tanks, remove deposits from powerheads. Yes, some organic peroxides are very hazardous and explosive - but if this had peracetic acid in it, its very water soluble and should rinse clean and be harmless.
PAA is a commonly used sanitizer to use around food production. The concentrate is very irritating - you'll know if there is residue.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back