Thoughts on how to fatten up sargassum triggerfish.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be eating well. Doesn’t want flake so I made a mixture of formula 2 and PE flakes with mysis and some gelatin. The fish seems to eat it up. He only wanted mysis then I mixed in the mysis with the flake foods gelatin and selcon. My lights are out and I don’t have a good pic but I found this one and it’s exactly how he looks. What would you feed to fatten him up?

51F7F94A-AC4E-451A-B6D3-B6029002B4D0.jpeg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it eats any and everything.
Perhaps look into freeze dried shrimp in some sort of automated feeding if feeding frozen manually is the issue.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish shouldn't eat flakes, actually no fish should. Clams would be the best food for him and if you can get them, small saltwater fish.

In the sea they eat small fish, shrimp and crabs.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish shouldn't eat flakes, actually no fish should. Clams would be the best food for him and if you can get them, small saltwater fish.

In the sea they eat small fish, shrimp and crabs.
Why shouldn't any fish eat flakes ??

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very processed and full of preservatives and contain no fish oil or living bacteria. Not a good food for anything.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I auto feed flake 3x (xtreme krill flake) a day, a sheet or nori a day for my foxface and white tail, as well as frozen a couple times a week.

i would think pieces of whole shrimp, clams etc would do quick work of fattening him up. I have a 12” + black piranha that i feed massivour delight exclusively and hes plump and healthy.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no harm feeding him flakes or pellets, but as a carnivore, I believe he will benefit from more natural meat. Some may frown on it, but years ago when I had several triggers, I would periodically buy small shiners at a local bait shop. Certainly, fresh clams, and other salt water life would probably be cleaner in the tank and easier to prepare and administer if you can get it.

OP
OP
C

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no harm feeding him flakes or pellets, but as a carnivore, I believe he will benefit from more natural meat. Some may frown on it, but years ago when I had several triggers, I would periodically buy small shiners at a local bait shop. Certainly, fresh clams, and other salt water life would probably be cleaner in the tank and easier to prepare and administer if you can get it.
I guess I should have specified PE mysis flakes.

so far so good btw. He eats from my hand and is devouring shrimp. I’ll get something different tomorrow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back