Thoughts on moonlighting?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run mine. I feel like the corals appreciate zero light at night.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my Kessil A360x's for 2 hours at night on the lowest setting. all blue, 1% intensity. These come on about 3 hours after lights out and stay on for 2 hours.

The fish don't need the lights. I haven't noticed any explosion of growth from the corals either. I run it that way for the simple reason that I get home from work during this 2 hour period. The low level lights allows me to view the tank and make sure everything is ok.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of moonlights, I run my XR15 G6 Pro at 55% Ultra Violet, 55% Violet, and 10% Royal to get a nice evening "pop" of fluorescing color.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably the 1% that consider moonlight a part of the overall habitat. Not for looking at the fish at night. I use the Apex LSM, programmed to rise and set where I'm at, at the intensity of the given night. Not sure if any of the common fixtures can do exactly what the LSM does.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having spent many nights on long distance close circuit dives, it is always dark. Even on over the beach insertions it's dark until your at the surf zone. I personally believe it's the magnet pull from the moon which causes the currents, that effect the corals, and not the sun light reflecting off it .

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run by moonlights only for an hour and a half from 9 PM when the blue lights shut off, till 10:30. When I tried keeping them on longer my animals became restless and started showing ill affects. Fish were swimming back-and-forth across the front of the tank and corals wouldn’t open all the way the next day.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek Atlantik Icon does the moon cycle very well. At first it turns off the light and then gradually brings it up. Because it has a .001% resolution (I believe - don’t quote me) it can light just a tiny bit and give a nice effect. My corals seem to have their polyps out more during these periods - but mostly I just enjoy it.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I delivered pizzas for a time to help out with paying bills when I was younger.. I wouldn't recommend it though. People can be pretty creepy. lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back