Thoughts on my aquascape

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Here is what I have. Quiet difficult to get some of these rocks in and actually maneuver them. Hoping for Lps softie tank. If I need to change something, now is the time. Thoughts? Am I good to go?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good. If it were me I would take that larger rock on the top left and use it as a base to build some unique branching type formations with the smaller rock.

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that was my delimma. I want a healthy tank so flow is of utmost importance. And wanted as little rock contact on sand bed. It's so easy to want to put tons of this rock in but I did that with last tank and it was an ongoing battle. I had three 45 ga trash bins full of rock. I still have two left. So if there is anyone in Baltimore area needing pukani, hit me up.

FishnFriendz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right hand side looks great. I would either take the big rock on the left side away or use only him for the left side. I love the idea of less rock, give more space, but it is just my preference :)

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks perfect the way it is.......islands look good as long as they aren't symmetrical, which yours aren't. The large rock on the left allows you to get a lot of high light coral directly below the light. May want to rethink the LPS/softie route (or just be careful of your light intensities).

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. don't know why someone would suggest rethinking softies/lps. not nearly as demanding as sps and look good. I don't dose anything and my fish and coral seem happy.

Attachments

• DSC_4718_0574_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_4718_0574_edited-1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 488

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the route you went. I would leave that large rock up there, but make it like 3 pillar style underneath. so there will be like 2 caves under it.
Also on the right side that small cave with the rock in it, i would take the rock out and make it look like a full cave.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. don't know why someone would suggest rethinking softies/lps. not nearly as demanding as sps and look good. I don't dose anything and my fish and coral seem happy.

Because it is a shallow tank with the rock coming within inches of the surface.....unless you keep the light intensities way down, a lot of the soft coral/lps won't appreciate the more intense lights.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall looks pretty good. I do feel like the left island is a little too dense, but not so much that if it works for your eye you should do anything.

What about removing the rock on the bottom right of the left island and taking the big rock and setting it at an angle. So the bottom would touch the sand on the bottom right of the island, and top would slope up, back and to the left. Don't know howit will work til you try it, but could give you natural slope to place corals at varying lighting.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally depending on the shape of that big rock I would stand it upright and cut some off the bottom so it was flat and stood up. I would even do that with some of the smaller rock, I am no longer a fan of stacking rock - but when you grow coral out it won't matter much anyway!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always make caves with mine

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good suggestions. I like caves and such myself. I wish my tank was wider so I could actually create more 3d. But it's not and doing so will get too close to glass for cleaning. I know the left will be difficult for softies but are there any short sps varieties I could put over there? Though I was leaning Lps, I might try a piece or 2 sps and that seems like a good spot tho I'm not well versed or experienced w sps. That big rock on left is glued and let me tell you,.... Getting that sucker in there and situated... I was sweating.
I did cut some of the pieces on left to make 2 small pillars bc I don't like stacking rock either. However I was trying to create spots for my Lower light corals and cutting a big rock and still trying to limit ground contact left me with little option... At least as I saw it

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm rock, sand, table shrimp, and bio spira I'm tank for a week. Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia seem to read zero. Phosphates at .2ppm. Is this possible?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back