Thoughts on my Aquascape?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, was curious if I could get some thoughts on my aquascape before I glue it together.

I purchased my tank used, so I had to get the rocks and fish back in quickly when I first got it.

I finally got around to redesigning it and am pretty happy with it, but thought I'd see what yall thought.

I did put rocks up against the glass on one end because that end sits up against my entertainment center, so you can't really view from that end anyway.

Thanks!

20211213_180505.jpg 20211213_180514.jpg 20211213_180521.jpg 20211213_180530.jpg 20211213_180539.jpg 20211213_180553.jpg

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you got going on.

maybe push the middle back a little and move the sides up to create a U shape.

I’ve always liked the way that looks

or you could build up the left side a little more and have it slope down and then curl that forward.

happy scaping!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it. Looks like you have some hidey holes and plenty of swim throughs. Looks like you have room for coral placement and plenty of room for them to grow. All in all, I'm kinda diggin it. The important thing is how do you like it?

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good---fwiw, i like having a little scaper room around the edges, back and front of our aquascape
Yeah, I can scrape all of it pretty easily except where I have that one rock by itself in the back. I'll probably slide it up.

Put it there for the time being cause the blue damsel like sleeping behind it.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it. Looks like you have some hidey holes and plenty of swim throughs. Looks like you have room for coral placement and plenty of room for them to grow. All in all, I'm kinda diggin it. The important thing is how do you like it?

Pretty happy with it considering I kinda had to go with the rocks that were already in the tank, etc.

I vacuum it, so I wanted it laid out to make that easy .

I'll probably leave it unless someone sees a major issue with it.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty happy with it considering I kinda had to go with the rocks that were already in the tank, etc.

I vacuum it, so I wanted it laid out to make that easy .

I'll probably leave it unless someone sees a major issue with it.
Nope no major issues that I see! And right if you like it go for it!

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks very cool, Lots of place for coral placement and some areas for fish to hide

I might suggest moving your scape back some but thats just me

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make it so that there is one or more unconnected islands. Having an arch connecting each of the main piles doesn’t look natural. I would take the two rocks that are on top, that form the two arches on the left and move them over to the right so that there’s an unconnected island on the left and structure on the right will have more height. This would make it more dynamic and less of a flat wall of rock.

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a peninsula tank? If so the wall of rock in the middle makes sense, Otherwise I would slide it toward the back a little while still allowing room for sand and glass cleaning. That leave room in the front for the fish and some rock islands to contain invasive corals

Is the base rock on the tank bottom or is it sitting on sand? If sitting on sand then it may settle over time.

Others have made suggestions about curving the "wall", creating a gap, or making one side higher than the other. I like all of those suggestions. I would want to make sure it doesn't look like a stacked wall, which is kind of what it looks like. I would try to create an interesting focal point about 1/3 of the way from the left side where the entertainment center is (photography rule of thirds). This could either be a cool rock/rock cave, or a spot for some striking piece of coral. Maybe moving that large rock on top in the middle, to the top of the left stack to accomplish that?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the rocks up against the back so that the fish will have a pile or rocks to feel safe where they can just escape and hide if they need to. The man made arches and caves and stuff does not usually make for stress-free and happy fish - especially the more sensitive ones.

Otherwise, if you are happy, then cool. The goal is to have corals covering it all anyway, so hopefully you won't even see it one day. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back