Thoughts on my cycle. It’s about 3 weeks old and has had fritz turbo 900

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just started my first reef tank (introduction into the hobby). I am rocking the fluval 13.5 and have used fritz 900 to help cycle. Just got my test kit today and tested my water for the first time. I am looking for a second opinion on my cycle as to me it seems pretty good but like I said it’s my first time. Freshwater is a good amount easier

1F633D2D-02E5-4645-A08B-9872FC183B8C.jpeg 3DFC2EBA-26E7-47DC-BC74-A866CFABABC6.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is complete. Do a water change and add a small fish.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to hear that. Question Is to do I need nitrates up? I did not add any ammonia or anything besides the fritz
The fritz itself has completed the cycle for you.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't start the cycle if you didn't add ammonia.
Ahh shoot that’s what I’m gathering. I wasn’t aware of the ammonia that I had to add the bottle almost made it seem like I could just put it in and be good to go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, just started my first reef tank (introduction into the hobby). I am rocking the fluval 13.5 and have used fritz 900 to help cycle. Just got my test kit today and tested my water for the first time. I am looking for a second opinion on my cycle as to me it seems pretty good but like I said it’s my first time. Freshwater is a good amount easier

1F633D2D-02E5-4645-A08B-9872FC183B8C.jpeg 3DFC2EBA-26E7-47DC-BC74-A866CFABABC6.jpeg
I too have reason you are good BUT. . BUT. . . I urge you to confirm these readings by taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits andsee what readings they come up with and to compare with yours as an assurance.
Once Ammonia reads zero and Nitrate is less than 20ppm, the cycle is complete and livestock can gradually be introduced. The bacteria population will increase with the new bioload, processing waste and converting it to nitrate rapidly. However, it is important to note that overloading the aquarium with too many fish initially can exceed what the bacteria can handle. This is why it is best to add new fish slowly over the next few months. The bacterial levels will adapt if you don't overload the system with too many mouths to feed. You will need to start with some form of ammonia to reduce it to zero

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have reason you are good BUT. . BUT. . . I urge you to confirm these readings by taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits andsee what readings they come up with and to compare with yours as an assurance.
Once Ammonia reads zero and Nitrate is less than 20ppm, the cycle is complete and livestock can gradually be introduced. The bacteria population will increase with the new bioload, processing waste and converting it to nitrate rapidly. However, it is important to note that overloading the aquarium with too many fish initially can exceed what the bacteria can handle. This is why it is best to add new fish slowly over the next few months. The bacterial levels will adapt if you don't overload the system with too many mouths to feed. You will need to start with some form of ammonia to reduce it to zero
Thank you for the advice! I did take it to a LFS and I saw them pull out what I believe to be API test strips…

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh shoot that’s what I’m gathering. I wasn’t aware of the ammonia that I had to add the bottle almost made it seem like I could just put it in and be good to go.

Its probably ok to put a fish in if you dosed the whole bottle. Its just safer to throw some food in their or dose ammonia first to make sure you didn't get a dud bottle or something. I wouldn't worry too much. Its not going to take you much time if you do decide to throw in some food or ammonia

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably ok to put a fish in if you dosed the whole bottle. Its just safer to throw some food in their or dose ammonia first to make sure you didn't get a dud bottle or something. I wouldn't worry too much. Its not going to take you much time if you do decide to throw in some food or ammonia
I did dose the whole bottle of fritz. So you’re saying ghost feed for a little? And if so what am I looking for in the tests while ghost feeding? Thanks for the help!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dose the whole bottle of fritz. So you’re saying ghost feed for a little? And if so what am I looking for in the tests while ghost feeding? Thanks for the help!
The bacteria you added are already doing their thing. Adding ammonia to see the effect will only reflect what is already known. Even without adding ammonia the bacteria already have everything they need to survive and even multiply.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the advice! I did take it to a LFS and I saw them pull out what I believe to be API test strips…
Try another or call around to see who uses different

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria you added are already doing their thing. Adding ammonia to see the effect will only reflect what is already known. Even without adding ammonia the bacteria already have everything they need to survive and even multiply.
Awesome, so you’re saying I might be good to go when it comes to a fish to kind of establish the tank in a sense?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back