Thoughts on my UV placement

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refurbished 40w classic AquaUV sterilizer that I plan to use on my new 225 gallon tank. It has a shed behind the wall that is south facing and will get very toasty and cool but not frozen in my central coastal California climate with a pass through to the wall behind the sump. I wanted to connect the UV in the shed with a 3/4”-1” supply and return vinyl tube passing through the passthrough to the sterilizer outside. I plan to use a manifold off one of my two COR20 return pumps with 1” tees and ball valves. Four of them in total where one is for a possible algae scrubber one day, one is for water changes where I’d plug into a quick disconnect, one is for a slow carbon reactor, and the fourth would be for this UV. I have a 1” flow sensor I can put on the UV to tune it. It will most likely return into the sump. I know this is not the ideal way but I’m not sure I’m game to throw a connection up over the tank to dump the UV into the tank.

I hoped to use this for dino prevention and perhaps to control parasites though I am putting everything through prophylaxis and quarantine and it should be ich free.

What are your thoughts on this all? Am I wasting my effort in plugging this in this way?

If this is so silly to do what i described I can use the other COR20 that was gong to be dedicated to returning to the tank with nothing inline but I’d hesitate to put what is currently planned as my only unhampered return pump through the UV as I need to flow enough water through my 2400 gph Modular Marine overflow to keep it fully siphoning and silent.

EDF46DAB-0641-4108-A18B-D211C0CE8A06.jpeg
331DA9AF-7C86-4714-987E-617B1B9E437D.jpeg
AFA78C4A-26EB-45CD-8360-6E886C88A0C4.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly fine as I also run mine from a port on my manifold back to the sump . Just make sure like your slow carbon reactor you also want the water to go slow through the UV for the most contact time .

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. BRS says it’s a big no-no is why I worried but I’d think that’s how most people actually run their UVs is in a closed loop on the sump right? Would require like a dedicated return for a UV or to just tune the flow perfectly to your desires on the return running through the UV. Pie in the sky kind of wishes it seems like.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back