Thoughts on plumbing for 210g

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this used 210g tank. I am looking for thought as to how should setup plumbing. Here are couple pictures to see what holes etc are there now. It has dual overflow boxes right now in each corner. Right have has (2) 1" and (1) 1 1/2" bulkhead hole and left side (1) 1" and (1) 1 1/2" bulkhead hole. On bottom middle of tank there are (2) 1" and (1) 1 1/2" bulkhead holes.

What I was thinking was putting a Fiji Cube 2000gph center external overflow on back middle. Then setup bean animal overflow down to my 75g sump. Remove the left and right overflow towers. Then maybe drilling (2) 3/4" or 1" return bulkhead on upper left and right back for return using my Vertra L2 pump. Then getting some glass sheets to plug up bulkhead holes where towers were.

Then using the center bottom 1 1/2" bulkhead hole to drain down into my 55watt UV. On the UV outlet place gate valve so can control flow into external pump and return water to the (2) left and right bulkheads on bottom of tank.

Please I am open to suggestions with hole drilled now or thoughts on idea. I am planning on working on this very soon as our 150g tank needs be replaced. Seam leaking so need get moving.
Bottom.jpg
Inside.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the big used tank! For plumbing, you have some options.

The 3 holes on the bottom were most likely used as a closed loop. If you don't want to use a closed loop, then I would patch all three of those, as you described for the corner overflows.

After that, I would decide if you want to use the corner overflows, or patch those holes and put in a new center overflow as you described.

Since the tank is empty, it's probably worth setting up the overflows and returns exactly as you want. Your plan sounds good to me. I'm not a UV guy, so I'm not sure how to advise you on that. It sounds like you want to use the 3 holes on the bottom as a closed loop through a UV sterilizer. That should work fine. I just don't personally use them regularly (other than for blooms), so I wouldn't want that plumbing in the middle of the tank.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back