Thoughts on running RO waste line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on permanently running my ro waste line out to drain under my deck? I know it'll be fine for 3/4 of the year but I'm worried about the line freezing in the winter and causing any sort of back pressure that might damage the unit.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI unit makes about 3 to 4 times the waste as it makes filtered water which could be a lot of water under the deck. I ran my drain line to my basement sump and the sump pump sends it out a shallow drain about 100’ from the house. Never had any problems with it freezing that way. Yes, I know it puts more wear and tear on the sump pump but they all have to be replaced at some point.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine out to water a tree close to my house. Then roll it back up and put it in the garage when I’m done.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on permanently running my ro waste line out to drain under my deck? I know it'll be fine for 3/4 of the year but I'm worried about the line freezing in the winter and causing any sort of back pressure that might damage the unit.
I run mine out to the pond for most of the year. Yes. It will freeze in the winter and the RO units will not work. I run it rught to a drain during the winter. I have my unit hooked up to my fridge for water and ice and use it for 250 gallon tank so it produces a good amount of waste water. The pond is always full even in a drought.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put a tee with valves to change the output to outside or drain. I wouldn’t run it under your deck though, you want the airspace under your deck to dry out. You could rot out the structure or warp decking boards depending on your airspace under it.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd want two lines on the waste so that you could route the waste down a drain during the winter months. Like @HOOPDEEZ mentioned, you could certainly use a tee or 3 way ball valve fitting to direct water one way or the other. Where you route the wastewater outside is up to you. If you're making a large amount of water at a time, that's a lot of water under your deck. Depending on how high off the ground it is and the material it's made from, wood rot is something to take into consideration long term.

All of that said, it's going to be much less of a hassle to just plumb it down a drain, especially if you're on city water. If you're on a septic system, I could see why you might choose to route it outside so that you're not putting RO waste water in your septic tank.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste line goes down a sump pump currently. When the garden is in I will run the line out of the house and fill a tub for watering the garden. I’m on a septic system and do not want to flood the tank and laterals with waste water

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much waste are you guys making that you guys are afraid of somehow damaging your septic system? There's nothing in there that would harm the tank/fields, and the water volume can't be that much. How much water do you generate in a shower? Say a 15min shower at 1.5gpm, that's 22.5g of grey water. Assuming you have multiple people showering per day, lets say you toss in 135gpd for showering alone. Add in laundry, dishwasher, and toilet flushes and it's even higher. I don't see why putting in say 80g of waste (assume 20g wc with 80g waste) once or twice a week would somehow break your septic system.

Not to say that re-using the waste for watering plants and ponds is a bad idea, I'm all for it, I just think concern of ruining a septic system with some nominal amount of waste water is unrealistic. Newer septic designs where I live are for 110gpd per bedroom. Older homes I believe were for more, as they pre-dated low flow fixtures.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my RO unit in my laundry room. Incoming water comes from the washer spigot the waste water runs down the washer drain. The RO side goes into the wall, up the wall and into the attic, and then drops down the wall of my tank room into a valve I have boxed into the sheetrock. It is really an easy setup if you can or can get someone to do the wall/attic run.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back