Thoughts on this planet aquarium tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter NY_Sea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NY_Sea

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
491
Reaction score
300
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a planet aquarium tank at a fish store that original customer returned due to a small Leak byniverflow
Box on back panel. It’s a 120. Owner of shop Said planet sent the customer a new tank so he had this one. It was brand new. He re siliconed the perimeter of whole tank and said after 3 days it still hadn’t leaked. He wanted $400 for it.

Would you purchase?

IMG_6090.jpeg IMG_6088.jpeg IMG_6089.jpeg
 
I wouldn't. I've been through a tank swap due to leakage and it is seriously no fun! I won't even buy a used tank anymore......
 
That’s exactly what he did He just re siliconed over the original silicone. My plan would have been to tape off and
Add another layer of Black silicone
All Around to Clean It up A bit but don’t
Know if it’s worth the risk. Such a beautiful Tank tho !!
 
If it was leaking around the plastic overflow box that wouldn't be a big deal. Not sure why he put silicone on all the glass panel seams though.
 
Silicone doesnt stick well to old or cured silicone so if he just went over the original without actually removing the original its not going to last. It will resume leaking at some point. May be worth while to remove the silicone and reseal as long as it wasnt in one of the seams. I have done this on tanks being carful to not damage the silicone that actually holds the glass together. My 75g I purchased in 2000 is redone this way, I did that in 2014 and its still good today.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new