Thoughts on using Tunze Safety Connectors with Nero 5

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dumb question, but to make 24v out of the 2 12v batteries, are the wired negative to positive?

Yes
Wired in series doubles the voltage and capacity stays the same
Wired in parallel voltage stays the same and capacity doubles

Parallel-vs-Series.gif

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dumb question, but to make 24v out of the 2 12v batteries, are the wired negative to positive?
not a dumb question at all. there are 2 ways to wire batteries.

Wiring 2 or more 12v batteries in Series (connecting the + to the - ) will combine the voltages together and keep the capacity (runtime) the same. For instance Two 12v 100AH batteries will produce 24v with 100AH runtime.

Wiring 2 or more 12v batteries in Parallel (connecting the + to + and - to - ) will combine capacity (runtime) and keep the voltage at the same. For instance the same Two batteries would have the capacity of 200AH and still provide 12v of power.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarifying this ☺ Did anyone find a converted connecter to make it easier to connect into the Tunze Safety Connector?

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Box — did you ever test the dc return pump using your battery backup?

thinking the ideal backup solution would be powering dc returns instead of simply pushing water in the display with power heads

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Box — did you ever test the dc return pump using your battery backup?

thinking the ideal backup solution would be powering dc returns instead of simply pushing water in the display with power heads
I have not yet. I will update as soon as I do.

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarifying this ☺ Did anyone find a converted connecter to make it easier to connect into the Tunze Safety Connector?
These are the two adapters to give a perfect fit at both ends. They're out of stock now, but you can try searching other places to find them. If my tank ever shows up, I'll be testing the Tunze setup on a Varios 4 return pump.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you. I am from the UK but I can find the same specification over here so many thanks for this :)

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That charger is out of stock, maybe even discontinued. They only list 25a 500 dollar chargers and up for 24v.

Is there a recommend alternative that anyone has?

I have a generator but that doesn't help me when I'm not home like just happened today.

I'm also thinking of a 10ah battery for my Nero 3, that should give me a day or two.

Last edited:

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a deep cycle 12v marine battery with two Tunze Safety Connectors to run two Tunze powerheads as a back up in case of a power outage. I'd really like to switch over to a couple Nero 5s but don't want to have to switch over all of my Battery Backup too. Does anyone have any legitimate thoughts on whether I can run the Nero 5 powerheads off of the set up that I already have?

I use the tunze safety adapters on all my dc pumps. Two x 150 Ah SLA in parallel for 24v pumps and 1 x 150 Ah for the 12v. I run tunze, vortech, jebao, and reef octopus pumps of off these. They are coupled to 24v and 12v battery tenders respectively. The system works well, especially as I experience many power cuts in late summer through fall.

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That charger is out of stock, maybe even discontinued. They only list 25a 500 dollar chargers and up for 24v.

Is there a recommend alternative that anyone has?

I have a generator but that doesn't help me when I'm not home like just happened today.

I'm also thinking of a 10ah battery for my Nero 3, that should give me a day or two.
This is the one I use. Works great. It’s $105 on Amazon.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I use. Works great. It’s $105 on Amazon.

Oh I didn't even think to check that brand. I use some of their stuff for cars. Their normal battery tender was a life saver during lockdown since my car wouldn't move for weeks on end.

Thanks for this.

freezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for anyone looking into this thread.

I did pick up a second battery and a 24v battery charger/tender. Just got everything hooked up and working. No issues function wise. The plugs from the factory Nero power supply do fit in the tunze safety connectors but it does take a bit of muscle. At no point did I feel like anything was going to break, I just had to work it in a bit. The Tunze connectors fit right into the Nero controller without issue. I am running 2x 12v 100AH Sealed Lead Acid batteries wired together for 24v total output. I am planning to turn them off this weekend and see how long they will run without power.

The following is a list of the parts that I used (there are a lot of options some cheaper) this is only what I personally chose after looking into specs, reviews etc.

Battery x2: Mighty Max Battery 12V 100AH Battery for Solar Wind DEEP Cycle VRLA 12V 24V 48V Brand Product

Charger/Tender: NOCO Genius G15000 12V/24V 15 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer

Voltage Monitor (optional): bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt

Tunze Safety connector x2: Tunze USA 6105.500 Safety Connector for Battery/Solar Backup of Turbelle and Stream Electronic Pumps

Whole setup cost me about $450 (plus some time wiring it up) but like I said before, I have $1000s in fish and corals and this will probably run pumps for several days without outside power depending on the actual settings, I can always turn them up a little once the power actually goes out to keep the water really moving. If it saves most of the life in my tank it'll still be cheap insurance. Also, there ARE cheaper options, I chose not to go the cheaper route.

1615935919944.jpeg
Your install is so clean it’s almost obnoxious

Chewy954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for anyone looking into this thread.

I did pick up a second battery and a 24v battery charger/tender. Just got everything hooked up and working. No issues function wise. The plugs from the factory Nero power supply do fit in the tunze safety connectors but it does take a bit of muscle. At no point did I feel like anything was going to break, I just had to work it in a bit. The Tunze connectors fit right into the Nero controller without issue. I am running 2x 12v 100AH Sealed Lead Acid batteries wired together for 24v total output. I am planning to turn them off this weekend and see how long they will run without power.

The following is a list of the parts that I used (there are a lot of options some cheaper) this is only what I personally chose after looking into specs, reviews etc.

Battery x2: Mighty Max Battery 12V 100AH Battery for Solar Wind DEEP Cycle VRLA 12V 24V 48V Brand Product

Charger/Tender: NOCO Genius G15000 12V/24V 15 Amp Pro-Series Battery Charger and Maintainer

Voltage Monitor (optional): bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt

Tunze Safety connector x2: Tunze USA 6105.500 Safety Connector for Battery/Solar Backup of Turbelle and Stream Electronic Pumps

Whole setup cost me about $450 (plus some time wiring it up) but like I said before, I have $1000s in fish and corals and this will probably run pumps for several days without outside power depending on the actual settings, I can always turn them up a little once the power actually goes out to keep the water really moving. If it saves most of the life in my tank it'll still be cheap insurance. Also, there ARE cheaper options, I chose not to go the cheaper route.

1615935919944.jpeg
How is the setup holding up? I plan to do the same with 2x Nero 5s.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with our crazy amount of power outages lately and now being stuck away from home for a few hours without power I am going to finish my setup. I was looking at doing the 100ah batteries but I may go with smaller batteries since I don't need 3 weeks of power. I am really only going to be running two Nero 3s and a Sicce SD 3 or maybe at some point the lowest end RedSea DC pump like the SD 6. I usually can get back to get my generator on in a few hours since I need to heat the water anyways.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got mine setup in a temporary way. I think I am going to likely put the batteries somewhere in the basement which is a room over, so I will need to run thicker gauge wire but it will be a safer, cleaner look. I got to test it yesterday and for the 5 minutes power was out it worked great.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back