Thoughts on Yellow Clown Gobies in a LPS dominant reef tank?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've sure this has been discussed somewhere in the past but I'm curious to gather some thoughts on Yellow Clown Gobies in an LPS heavy reef tank!

To be clear, I'm talking about the true Gobiodon okinawae Yellow Clown Goby, not the Citron which gets a bit larger. I've been thinking of getting a trio to add a pop of yellow to my tank, plus I enjoy adding small fish to my tank.

Now I know they like to perch on Acros but I have no SPS and none of my rock is really 'branching', more so chunks of rock with caves and bumps etc. I have a number of LPS like Hammers, Frogspawn, Candy Cane, Elegance, Indophyillia, but also a a large toadstool that my Madarins often like to skulk around in, and this doesn't bother the toadstool at all.

Curious if Yellow Clown Gobies are likely to cause a lot of trouble with my LPS or not. Would love to gather some thoughts!

Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 clown gobies (a yellow, green, and a black) they perch on all corals, soft and lps, they don't seem picky, they change around all day. They don't nip or bother any of my corals.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if your LPS are large colonies or smaller sized? I've seen people have no issues with clown gobies in large LPS colonies, but I have fairly small LPS(like 3-4 heads) and I imagine they'd be a little more susceptible to irritation from these little fish.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if your LPS are large colonies or smaller sized? I've seen people have no issues with clown gobies in large LPS colonies, but I have fairly small LPS(like 3-4 heads) and I imagine they'd be a little more susceptible to irritation from these little fish.
I doubt it, they sit on my larger corals like my huge sinularia and gorgonian, but they also sit on individual mushrooms, individual pally polyps, plate coral, lobo. I've had them for a long time, they are cute and harmless.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up grabbing two little baby Yellow Clown Gobies. I got them home and put them in my acclimation box but they are relentlessly fighting each other, they'll grab each others mouth or fins and won't let go unless I bonk them. I had to set up a divider in the acclimation box.

They're both very small, under 1". Right now they're just biting at the divider I have set up(it's clear). I've always heard clown gobies are better in small groups and are super peaceful. I've not encountered this kind of aggression with any other fish, even my Damsel isn't as aggressively determined to fight.

Does anyone have any tips? I really wanted a group but clearly these two don't like each other. Should I bring them back to the shop or give it some time?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got 2 males they will fight. I would suggest to return one, and get a different colour (green or black). They seem to accept different colour, but same colour can sometimes fight.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to hearing about your experience. I bought a yellow and green clown goby a few weeks ago. Unfortunately to the yellow passed away during the tail end of my medicated quarantine process. Shortly after I had to move my quarantine fish around due to a blackout. I recently put the green clown goby into my 110g display and have only seen him once late at night. I hope to add more clown gobies soon!

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one just managed to slip through the cracks of the acclimation box due to being so small and is now in the display tank. I think I'll just let this play out and see how he does. If he doesn't look like he's doing well tomorrow, I'll try to get him out.

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've sure this has been discussed somewhere in the past but I'm curious to gather some thoughts on Yellow Clown Gobies in an LPS heavy reef tank!

To be clear, I'm talking about the true Gobiodon okinawae Yellow Clown Goby, not the Citron which gets a bit larger. I've been thinking of getting a trio to add a pop of yellow to my tank, plus I enjoy adding small fish to my tank.

Now I know they like to perch on Acros but I have no SPS and none of my rock is really 'branching', more so chunks of rock with caves and bumps etc. I have a number of LPS like Hammers, Frogspawn, Candy Cane, Elegance, Indophyillia, but also a a large toadstool that my Madarins often like to skulk around in, and this doesn't bother the toadstool at all.

Curious if Yellow Clown Gobies are likely to cause a lot of trouble with my LPS or not. Would love to gather some thoughts!

Thanks!
I know my opinion probably won’t be valid since I have a fish only tank but yellow clown gobies perch on anything they want even if it’s another fish’s territory.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up bringing one back to the shop - It's a shame you can't really reliably sex these little fish as I'd love to get my little dude a few females to keep him company.

He's been eating and spends a lot of his time in my Candy Cane and Toadstool so at least he seems to be enjoying himself, but I'm sure he'd be a lot more active with some friends.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back