Skinny yellow clown goby

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do unfortunately sometimes come in at a point where they're past eating. The supply chain is hard on clown gobies and extra hard on baby anything. Make sure he has cover and dim lights, keep a supply of BBS in there, and see.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I recently bought a yellow clown goby and it is now in my quarantine tank.
It hasn’t been in the tank for a long time(1-2 hours)
It’s pretty small at around 1cm ish
It isn’t eating any food.
Any ideas for feeding it?

IMG_5325.jpeg IMG_5323.jpeg IMG_5320.jpeg
Yes I lost one recently. I now have another did not like algae pellets or miss shrimp but loved omega one marine flakes

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yay! That's a good start. Keep him stuffed with anything and everything he'll eat, let him get nice and fat. Multiple meals a day (and/or a constant supply of BBS) is probably important.

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i fed the little fella some more baby brine shrimp. He ate some but then immediately stopped and rejected the others. Is he just full or is there something wrong with him?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably/hopefully full. Tiny fish, tiny stomach. Keep a constant supply of them in there for him to eat, and he should snack throughout the day.

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first fish last week. They are high maintenance. Starting feeding it on the 2nd day. For the first days, I had to turn off the pump and sort of drop the food on its head because it couldn’t identify when food was coming. Such a slow eater, most food went to waste. Got one bite in before the leftovers hit the subtrate and then wouldn’t touch it. Even then, 75% of the food was spit out, had to chop the brine/mysis in half. Still spitting. Better when the food is almost completely macerated. Not until yesterday night was I finally able to feed it with the pump on. Brine would just float around and it would finally attack it and get the food down and I didn’t have to stand there with a pipette dropping food in periodically for 20 minutes. It definitely prefers brine over mysis, and both over pellets. But man, went from pellet to mysis to brine. Feeding it cost more than the price of the goby.

Word to the wise, just start with brine shrimp and macerate it to a small size. Any dry food recs? Need one in the arsenal.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never found a fish that will not eat TDO chromo boost.

They even use it for baby fish fry they make it so small. Every clown goby I've had took right to TDO.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen lobster eggs (this is what I fed mine - when I had it many years ago) - would be a good food for the fella.. But I am not sure if they sell those in US&A?

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first fish last week. They are high maintenance. Starting feeding it on the 2nd day. For the first days, I had to turn off the pump and sort of drop the food on its head because it couldn’t identify when food was coming. Such a slow eater, most food went to waste. Got one bite in before the leftovers hit the subtrate and then wouldn’t touch it. Even then, 75% of the food was spit out, had to chop the brine/mysis in half. Still spitting. Better when the food is almost completely macerated. Not until yesterday night was I finally able to feed it with the pump on. Brine would just float around and it would finally attack it and get the food down and I didn’t have to stand there with a pipette dropping food in periodically for 20 minutes. It definitely prefers brine over mysis, and both over pellets. But man, went from pellet to mysis to brine. Feeding it cost more than the price of the goby.

Word to the wise, just start with brine shrimp and macerate it to a small size. Any dry food recs? Need one in the arsenal.
For me I just pour some baby brine and he will eat even with the pumps on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back