Skinny yellow clown goby

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I recently bought a yellow clown goby and it is now in my quarantine tank.
It hasn’t been in the tank for a long time(1-2 hours)
It’s pretty small at around 1cm ish
It isn’t eating any food.
Any ideas for feeding it?

IMG_5325.jpeg IMG_5323.jpeg IMG_5320.jpeg

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i’ve been reading threads and people seem to like this product “zoomed can o cyclops”.
Should i use it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you only got it 2 hours ago, don't worry, stop feeding you will foul the water. Many fish don't eat the first 1 or 2 days. Try once more tonight and then only tomorrow.

You need small foods; micro sized pellets, baby brine shrimp, mysis, copepods, etc... Can o cyclops is good stuff. Also buy some baby brine shrimp eggs and hatch them for the fish, it will love you.

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you only got it 2 hours ago, don't worry, stop feeding you will foul the water. Many fish don't eat the first 1 or 2 days. Try once more tonight and then only tomorrow.

You need small foods; micro sized pellets, baby brine shrimp, mysis, copepods, etc... Can o cyclops is good stuff. Also buy some baby brine shrimp eggs and hatch them for the fish, it will love you.
Will it accept live bloodworms because i’ve got a few

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would hatch some live baby brine shrimp. It may not eat for a day or two, that's normal for newly acquired fish, but clown gobies have a rough time coming through the supply chain and generally need a good pampering. Plus, baby brine won't foul the water.

It's most likely far too small for live bloodworms. Note the tiny mouth- these little guys pick at tiny foods. Also, freshwater foods aren't the best for marine organisms.

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hatch some live baby brine shrimp. It may not eat for a day or two, that's normal for newly acquired fish, but clown gobies have a rough time coming through the supply chain and generally need a good pampering. Plus, baby brine won't foul the water.

It's most likely far too small for live bloodworms. Note the tiny mouth- these little guys pick at tiny foods. Also, freshwater foods aren't the best for marine organisms.
How about crushed(powdered) pellets?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update :
So i tried giving the goby some pellets and he did nibble on one but soon lost interest.
It's ok, it will be like that for a while. Don't panic. It took me 3 days to get my clown goby to eat. Sounds like it is a healthy fish if it is already eating!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just giving the same pellets it rejected before? Why not buy the foods that we suggested? You should not repeat the same actions and expect a different result....

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is easy and that gobi is thin. They normally rest or hide in corals and hate where yours is, on a bare piece of glass with a few PVC elbows.

He needs some real "something" that he thinks is real rock or even fake coral. He needs to be off the glass but in that tank, he can't.

I don't quarantine so I never have those problems but he is "very stressed."
They will eat any small food. Not pellets, something meaty like almost any frozen food or fine pieces of clam

I have 6 or 7 of them and have been keeping them for decades. They normally spawn constantly on acropora.

You can see her eggs above her on the acropora.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crushed pellets may work okay, but he needs something extra nutritious and fatty to get bulked up, so BBS would work much better.

Also, yes, plenty of hiding places. A big pipe isn't a great hiding place for something so small.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pellets are not the most pallatable for these guys. In addition to baby brine shrimp, most nanos foods such as LRS nano frenzy work well with them. Often they get this thin, you may have a fish that has shut down and then feeding off its liver known as edema

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These should work:

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I tried feeding the little guy some live baby brine shrimp but unfortunately he showed no intrest. I’m honestly getting worried that he might not make it through QT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back