Thoughts??

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy’s currently I have a 75 gallon with a giant frogfish and a dwarf moray and a few corals and then my clean up crew.I added the coral a few days ago and realized how much potential my tank actually has and the frogfish and eel are blocking that so what i was thinking is getting rid of them and using the credit at my lfs to get a assortment of fish as well as a anemone once i feel my tank is ready.I don’t really have an idea of what fish I want but just some basic stuff.Please let me know what you think.Ive had the frogfish and eel for about 2 months now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guy’s currently I have a 75 gallon with a giant frogfish and a dwarf moray and a few corals and then my clean up crew.I added the coral a few days ago and realized how much potential my tank actually has and the frogfish and eel are blocking that so what i was thinking is getting rid of them and using the credit at my lfs to get a assortment of fish as well as a anemone once i feel my tank is ready.I don’t really have an idea of what fish I want but just some basic stuff.Please let me know what you think.Ive had the frogfish and eel for about 2 months now.
I think you answered your own question : " i was thinking is getting rid of them and using the credit at my lfs to get a assortment of fish as well as a anemone once i feel my tank is ready"

The quick answer is - trade them in. The longer answer is Part of the reef compatibility of any fish it kind of based on what else is in the tank. But -I've kept many fish that were 'reef incompatible' - that worked out fine. I think it's basically personal preference.

Frogfish can also grow quite large - based on which species the one you have - it may not be compatible with the eel and vice versa over time.

Since you asked - I would keep the 2 - and wait. Try some coral - if there is a problem - then make a decision. Thats not expert advice - just my opinion (since you obviously bought them for a reason)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd agree with trading them in (though I personally love both frogfish and eels), particularly if you really do have a giant frogfish and a dwarf eel (to me, that feels like it may only be a matter of time before the eel becomes a frogfish snack, especially since giant frogfish are supposed to get longer than the dwarf moray, and the dwarf moray's slender body type lends itself well to being swallowed whole).

As a side note here, I'd check with some of the predator experts on the forum here, but you might be able to keep the dwarf moray and still add other fish (the giant frogfish definitely has to go though).

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd agree with trading them in (though I personally love both frogfish and eels), particularly if you really do have a giant frogfish and a dwarf eel (to me, that feels like it may only be a matter of time before the eel becomes a frogfish snack, especially since giant frogfish are supposed to get longer than the dwarf moray, and the dwarf moray's slender body type lends itself well to being swallowed whole).

As a side note here, I'd check with some of the predator experts on the forum here, but you might be able to keep the dwarf moray and still add other fish (the giant frogfish definitely has to go though).
yea i mean when i first got him 2 months ago he was the size of my finger nail and now basically the size of my palm maybe a little smaller so i’m assuming he’s a giant one at that growth rate the eel is still bigger than him atm but probably not for long

OP
OP
D

Donovan354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alright i’ll ask the owner if i could give them back and trade and i’ll start looking at stuff ik for sure i want a foxface but that’s about it so far

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
alright i’ll ask the owner if i could give them back and trade and i’ll start looking at stuff ik for sure i want a foxface but that’s about it so far
By the way - since he is so much bigger - ask for a better price:)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you answered your own question : " i was thinking is getting rid of them and using the credit at my lfs to get a assortment of fish as well as a anemone once i feel my tank is ready"

The quick answer is - trade them in. The longer answer is Part of the reef compatibility of any fish it kind of based on what else is in the tank. But -I've kept many fish that were 'reef incompatible' - that worked out fine. I think it's basically personal preference.

Frogfish can also grow quite large - based on which species the one you have - it may not be compatible with the eel and vice versa over time.

Since you asked - I would keep the 2 - and wait. Try some coral - if there is a problem - then make a decision. Thats not expert advice - just my opinion (since you obviously bought them for a reason)

Back