threadworms??

Paulwhip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a brown sailfiin tang/ Scopas tang got hin home from the lfs and after acclimation, fed (alot they just dont eat well in the shop) so now its gotta poop, a? K all good with that BUT this is a wad of string- looked it up best i could and found it to possibly be "threadsworms" fish looks very healthy, ate fabulously. So i'm either catching this earlie(fingers crossed) or miss diagnosing. The treatment says food soaked in Parachlorometaxyenol. K all good with that BUT its toxic to fish(????)... any ideas? ne 1 had to deal with this?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of the stringy poop is very important when diagnosing.

White = internal parasites/intestinal worms (treat with metronidazole - you can either soak food with it & feed in the DT *reef safe* OR dose it directly into a QT)

Brown = Intestinal irritation (no treatment required)

OP
OP
Paulwhip

Paulwhip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for replying i appreciate your inputthey r tan and the consistancy of hair they do nt break or smash in thinkn possibly lfs tied alge w string to a rok and it was consumed but im not yet sure gunna keep an eyeon it. Where 2 acquire the metro will be my next challenge. thx you Humblefish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for replying i appreciate your inputthey r tan and the consistancy of hair they do nt break or smash in thinkn possibly lfs tied alge w string to a rok and it was consumed but im not yet sure gunna keep an eyeon it. Where 2 acquire the metro will be my next challenge. thx you Humblefish.

Seachem Metronidazole is pretty widely available, both at LFS & online (see link below). API General Cure is a prazi/metro mix, and I've used it before to successfully treat internal parasites. I believe even Petsmart carries it. But unless the poop is solid white, I wouldn't treat. Just keep an eye on it for now.

Seachem Seachem Metronidazole Marine & Freshwater Medication Multi Purpose Aquarium Medications

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back