Help to identify a disease on my Scopas

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this on my scopas ?
Looks like scars. It does have a small amount of ich also. Could this be scars from the ich?
This tang (and all my other fishes is now placed in a QT tank with copper power)
IMG_0066.jpeg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No clue. you're right it looks like scars. Of course if the qt was followed in the beginning this could be much easier. However I'm not criticizing the OP

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue. you're right it looks like scars. Of course if the qt was followed in the beginning this could be much easier. However I'm not criticizing the OP
100%. If i could turn back time, i would definitely QT all my fishes. Now when I saw that the ich starting to appear , I catched all my fishes for treatment and I’m gonna let my reef tank go fallow for 6 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is this on my scopas ?
Looks like scars. It does have a small amount of ich also. Could this be scars from the ich?
This tang (and all my other fishes is now placed in a QT tank with copper power)
IMG_0066.jpeg
I see both skin irritation and ich and may even be mucus cones. What it all amounts to is quarantine and need for quarantine. Place fish in a sterile treatment tank and treat using either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Assuming other fish are in tank,how do they look?
Is this fish still eating?
Any fighting with other fish in the tank?

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great answer. Thank you! I started this QT tank 4 days ago and dosed copper power using the copper power calculator to 2,0ppm. All my fish is in here, and my main tank is going to be fallow for minimal 6 weeks.

unfortenaly im using salifert test kit, and on day one there was 2ppm but today there is somewhere between 0,5-1ppm and i cant know exactly. Do theese pots i have as hiding places absorb the Copper? Rest of the decorations are plastic and in the innerfilter i got a filter sponge for nitrifying bacteria. Also i got a seachem ammonia alert , and i did dose seachem prime to the QT just in case, because i read that it Will be fine with the Copper power.
QT:

IMG_0067.jpeg

Reef tank
IMG_0068.jpeg

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place fish in a sterile treatment tank and treat using either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand.
I guess im going to need a Hanna checker to be sure the copper are at terapeuthic levels all 30 days. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI - technically, you need to restart your timer once the level is below 2-2.5 for any length of time (of copper)

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - technically, you need to restart your timer once the level is below 2-2.5 for any length of time (of copper)
Thanks. Just curious, BRS says 14 days after no visible symptoms in cooper, why do i need 30 days? Is that just to be totally sure ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Just curious, BRS says 14 days after no visible symptoms in cooper, why do i need 30 days? Is that just to be totally sure ?
We go by the protocol here - as compared to BRS. Trusting the experts here - Everyone wants a shorter QT period - meaning - that everyone tries to shorten it. I can't vouch for (or criticize) the BRS method - except to say they are not our methods here.

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We go by the protocol here - as compared to BRS. Trusting the experts here - Everyone wants a shorter QT period - meaning - that everyone tries to shorten it. I can't vouch for (or criticize) the BRS method - except to say they are not our methods here.
Thanks a lot. I will go for the 30 days method, because when my tank needs to be fallow anyways. No need to shorten the QT period for me.
So, when i get my hands on a Hanna checker, i will control measure it and dose to 2,25-2.50. Then start the clock to 30 days. After 30 days, i will move my fishes to a observation tank, and when my tank has been fallow for 6-8 weeks, and the fish are looking healthy, i put them back. And ofcourse QT every new fish that are going to my tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. I will go for the 30 days method, because when my tank needs to be fallow anyways. No need to shorten the QT period for me.
So, when i get my hands on a Hanna checker, i will control measure it and dose to 2,25-2.50. Then start the clock to 30 days. After 30 days, i will move my fishes to a observation tank, and when my tank has been fallow for 6-8 weeks, and the fish are looking healthy, i put them back. And ofcourse QT every new fish that are going to my tank.

This looks like a newly set up QT? If so, be sure to monitor the ammonia levels and keep it below 0.25 ppm.

Jay

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scopas is looking better today. Maybe it was stressed out yesterday when i moved him to the QT.
Other Question- anyone know if terra pots absorb Copper? If thats the case. Om gonna replace them with PVC or more freshwater decorations
IMG_0089.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scopas is looking better today. Maybe it was stressed out yesterday when i moved him to the QT.
Other Question- anyone know if terra pots absorb Copper? If thats the case. Om gonna replace them with PVC or more freshwater decorations
IMG_0089.jpeg

I've never had terracotta pots absorb copper....

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i got my Hanna checker and dosed from 2,01 to 2,5, so i Guess the fishes should be in here 30 days from now ? :) the tang and clowns still have visible ich.
I changed 20% Water today also.
IMG_0113.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i got my Hanna checker and dosed from 2,01 to 2,5, so i Guess the fishes should be in here 30 days from now ? :) the tang and clowns still have visible ich.
I changed 20% Water today also.
IMG_0113.jpeg
Be sure to replace the copper proportionally that is removed by the water change. Also monitor the ammonia closely and keep it under 0.25 ppm.

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to replace the copper proportionally that is removed by the water change. Also monitor the ammonia closely and keep it under 0.25 ppm.
Great.
I dose the water i change with Copper using the Copper power calculator.
For ammonia i have the Seachem ammonia alert :)

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the fish(es) looking like this. A LOT of spots and i am not sure if this is Ich, Odinium or velvet.
Today they have been in 2,5ppm Copper power 3 days and i hope it starts to get well soon.
I also gave my tang and clowns a Freshwater dip today to see if it can relief the stress a bit.
What does it look like ? #fishmedic
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0135.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich on the tang, probably ich on the clowns as well. What test kit are you using? Copper Power and Coppersafe need to be at 2.5 ppm for active infections, but some test kits are tough to use. The Hanna meter can usually be trusted, but it can be tricky to use.

Jay

OP
OP
jjonaas1

jjonaas1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich on the tang, probably ich on the clowns as well. What test kit are you using? Copper Power and Coppersafe need to be at 2.5 ppm for active infections, but some test kits are tough to use. The Hanna meter can usually be trusted, but it can be tricky to use.

Jay
thank you!
In using the Hanna checker Copper High range.
Ah first the level was 2,01, i used the calculator and dosed it up go 2,5 and i measured today with Hanna and it was 2,51 so its very accurate.
How long does it usally take for the ich to die off in 2,5ppm? (Im on day 3 now. First 3 days at 2,0, then 3 days to 2,5)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back