Threefer. Third tank in three years. Reefer 425

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as flashy as some of the custom option
yea i have looked at a few of those. you get alot of reflection off of those lexan lids. the black seems to be more muted. the black frame looks great with the black silicone on the red sea's as well!

yea i dont blame ya on the QT set up. the last time i was in the hobby i got hit with velvet and had to do the hospital tanks on the floor in the living room to save my fish.... man that was a rough time! lost most everything

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you’re willing to deal with/put up with. I decided with my most recent setup I would only add snails. No crabs clanging around in the bare bottom tank. Reef Cleaners is cool but the hermits I got from them in the old system ate Acans. I prefer a lot of Astrea snails, some Trocus and handful of Turbo’s. If you want hermits stick to dwarf’s.
:oops:ile have to keep a eye on my acans then I’ve seen them try to steal reef roids after target feeding but not literally eating the coral

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:oops:ile have to keep a eye on my acans then I’ve seen them try to steal reef roids after target feeding but not literally eating the coral
Dwarfs are pretty safe but the regular hermits I got from him demolished the Acans. May have been the “Assorted” variety on the site. I was perplexed for quite a while as to why my Acans kept dying one head at a time until finally seeing it happen.

I only keep a few dwarfs in my fuge these days and the lone hermit left from my very first livestock order ever from Reefcleaners is in a 3.5” shell now roaming solo in a 10g tank with a couple of leathers. Just over 3 years old now.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i dont blame ya on the QT set up. the last time i was in the hobby i got hit with velvet and had to do the hospital tanks on the floor in the living room to save my fish.... man that was a rough time! lost most everything

Same here... my spare bedroom turned into what looked like some sort of crazy mad scientist lab with tanks and buckets strewn about everywhere bubbling away with air stones and methaline blue dips etc etc.
i was Heisenberg for a couple of weeks there but those first couple of days were agonizing :(

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's done. The prices are decent, I may have gone overboard . Reef Cleaners btw ...
Im going to the Fish Co. tonight for dinner, I'm going to order the Escargot for an appetizer... :D
ID ItemUnit Price Quantity Totals
B657Astraea Snails
$0.60​
15​
$9.00​
I113Dwarf Cerith
$0.17​
12​
$2.04​
B6108Mexican Turbo Snail
$3.00​
6​
$18.00​
I115Nassarius Vibex
$0.50​
5​
$2.50​
I116Nerite Snail
$0.75​
5​
$3.75​
B6107Trochus Snails
$3.00​
5​
$15.00​
B6108Zebra Turbo Snail
$3.00​
6​
$18.00​
J341Blue Leg Hermit Crab
$0.55​
25​
$13.75​
Item Total:​
$82.04​
Order Total:​
$82.04​

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here... my spare bedroom turned into what looked like some sort of crazy mad scientist lab with tanks and buckets strewn about everywhere bubbling away with air stones and methaline blue dips etc etc.
i was Heisenberg for a couple of weeks there but those first couple of days were agonizing :(
Still feeling your pain on that. I lost a lot of so-so fish, the Powder blue hurt but nothing real prized. Divers den has a sale
with a lot of wrasses and some that I would really like, a gold angel and a Gem Tang are on the list. The angle is doable the gem not so much, not yet.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered Marine Collectors or reaching out to Humblefish? Cant speak to pricing but theres a learning curve to QT and if I were to make a significant investment like a Gem or Goldflake I might pay for a pro to handle the QT over trusting myself to not mess it up.

I of course learned a lot in a hurry during an emergency situation with a lot of help from the pro’s here. We managed to save about half of my guys but most of my attempts at QT prior to velvet were mostly fails. I felt my inexperience was the true cause of most deaths and why I ultimately played russian roulette until finally catching the bullet.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I of course learned a lot in a hurry during an emergency situation with a lot of help from the pro’s here. We managed to save about half of my guys but most of my attempts at QT prior to velvet were mostly fails. I felt my inexperience was the true cause of most deaths and why I ultimately played russian roulette until finally catching the bullet.
I also learned that I don't know squat. I thought about buying fish that has been treated or watched but how do you really know? I realize i will have to read read read, then Practice Medicine on some gold fish or something ;Wacky I have a while yet
but I got the itch to buy live stock, a big fat Trachy, lobo and some Zoas are on the short list. I stopped at the LFS on the way home, He has some hammers the size of basket balls $600 and tennis ball sized for 250 and small Nasos for 20 but I came away empty other than a Pic. :cool:
20191019_120036.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you walk away without that? ;)

Well that Colored up the thread, Thanks ;) I was taking a pick of the wrasse and that guy photo bomb it. That LFS gets cheap fish, and I always see sick fish, Gotta do the dip with them guys.
BTW Simon Where did you find that chameleon wrasse in the picture? He really blends in with all that coraline in your tank:p

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that Colored up the thread, Thanks ;) I was taking a pick of the wrasse and that guy photo bomb it. That LFS gets cheap fish, and I always see sick fish, Gotta do the dip with them guys.
BTW Simon Where did you find that chameleon wrasse in the picture? He really blends in with all that coraline in your tank:p

I will get a pic when lights are up tomorrow, I have about 7 tuxedos in there now, I frickin' hate coraline! ;)

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Haul! Keep an eye on the Nerites, they’re jail breakers if the lid isnt on... My dog turned most into snacks before I had a lid :)
Hey anyone have radions? I have been trying to get my radions online and no luck. They LOOK cool!! going to get a laptop
to try.
@Scurvy your right about the snails:D darn things are all around the den. I found two under a cabinet and every fey days ones scooting across the floor. My lab hasn't figured it out yet, yes I have a lid that needs to get assembled but need the lights more.
Im shopping for a top off pump that will pump from the basement holding tank, so head needs to be 15' or better.
Any ideas? I have a maxi doser for AWC and thought about a 3 position valve off/SW/FW but for now I'm thinking of trying
a tunze top off pump...would like something stronger on a 1/4" tube.

Back