Tiger vs Randall’s pistol shrimp?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey to everyone! I have made the decision to get a pistol shrimp for my yellow watchman goby, I am just not sure between a Randall’s or a tiger. Ant thoughts from those of you who have one or the other?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a randall's will pair with more types of shrimp gobies than a tiger? Anyway, I always liked my randall's pistol shrimp.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Randall's (A.K.A. Candy Cane) Pistol Shrimp is the preferred shrimp for a number of different gobies from a fairly wide range of genera (see the quote below), but Yellow Watchman Gobies will pair with Tiger Pistol Shrimp too.

From what I've heard, a lot of people prefer the Randall's because it's smaller and doesn't move as much sand around - if you don't mind the extra sand movement, both should work fine. That's about the only difference I've heard of honestly.

The quote:
Alpheus bellulus is reportedly their preferred shrimp, but people have paired them with A. randalli before too (A. randalli is highly versatile in its pairings; it has been shown to pair with Amblyeleotris spp., Stonogobiops spp., Tomiyamichtys spp., and Cryptocentrus spp. that I've found) - the size difference at pairing is probably a concern, though, so if you try it, I'd suggest a small goby with full-grown shrimp to try and play it safe.

Sources for some of the different pairings:

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both, the tiger paired up with my goby almost immediately. However destroys the tank with sand. I mean moves half the tanks worth to 1 side for a mountain. Randlli shrimp is TINY moves a tiny amount of sand in a very small area. Paired almost immediately with the same goby. Also i believe they look alot better.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both, the tiger paired up with my goby almost immediately. However destroys the tank with sand. I mean moves half the tanks worth to 1 side for a mountain. Randlli shrimp is TINY moves a tiny amount of sand in a very small area. Paired almost immediately with the same goby. Also i believe they look alot better.
Thank you,, I believe I will go with the Randall, primarily because I have other tank inhabitants that like the sand as well, so I can't like my pistol shrimp control all of the sand :cool:

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger paired with a diamond goby. The tiger is strong. STRONG! It flipped a 10 head acan enchanita onto my space invader pectinia. Enchanita did it's thing and merked the pectinia. BUT the pectinia regrew all it's flesh within 2 week.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my experience unless your tank is VERY small you're unlikely to see a randals pistol shrimp regularly and a full grown ywg is going to have trouble sharing its burrow. Our ywg even struggles sometimes fitting into the tiger pistol burrow (though the tiger pistol is only 3 or so so about 2/3 max size)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back