Tigger pods

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, cultured pods are kinda captive raised fish that don't know how to eat algae or perform a basic function that their wild counterparts know how to do. They have no idea how to hide and stuff since they were raised in tanks with no predators. Guess that the smart ones figure it out, but I only have ever gotten pods from live rock and stuff and those appear to know how to stay alive and reproduce.

I have a CB orange lined rabbitfish that has no idea how to eat algae or pick at rocks. Idiot.

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens is in Texas and I have been getting their mixed pods all summer. Great quality and tons of mixed pods. They guarantee live arrival in any temperature. Look them up and you won’t be disappointed. Good luck.
I just placed an order for the tisbe with Dinkins. They're only about 50mi away so they know what's up here. Thanks for suggesting them.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All the other pods ship like crap and are dead on arrival. Tiggers are the only ones that make it during shipping. That's why they are usually all that you see at the LFS in stock.
For what it’s worth, even in the summer our DOA rate is only about 2 percent on copepods. It can definitely be done, but the company has to invest in styrofoam shippers and heavy ice packs to get the job done.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens is in Texas and I have been getting their mixed pods all summer. Great quality and tons of mixed pods. They guarantee live arrival in any temperature. Look them up and you won’t be disappointed. Good luck.
Thank you so much for the shout out!!

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tigger pods are popular, but are “direct feed” only - as you just witnessed. They just get wiped out immediately by planktivores and will rarely, if ever, colonize a reef tank no matter how many you add. If you’re going to feed these then it’s worth culturing them, and easy enough, just takes a little equipment and space.

For self sustaining pod populations Tisbe pods are a commercially available option that works well. You can also get random wild pods in with snails, crabs, frags, live rock, etc. These also tend to colonize reef tanks.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for the tisbe with Dinkins. They're only about 50mi away so they know what's up here. Thanks for suggesting them.
Great, you won’t be disappointed. Those tiger pods you were using don’t really reproduce in our tanks and the mix you’ll be getting will explode in population. Just keep feeding them live phytoplankton. Happy reefing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, even in the summer our DOA rate is only about 2 percent on copepods. It can definitely be done, but the company has to invest in styrofoam shippers and heavy ice packs to get the job done.
True if the extra effort is made results can be better

OP
OP
Rabidbeast666

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. Just got my shipment. You guys weren't lying. Tons of pods, the phyto is rich and dank looking and packed to survive this heat. The card and stickers were a nice personal touch. Can't wait for the Super Blue moon to hit so I can get em in the tank.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. Just got my shipment. You guys weren't lying. Tons of pods, the phyto is rich and dank looking and packed to survive this heat. The card and stickers were a nice personal touch. Can't wait for the Super Blue moon to hit so I can get em in the tank.
They are great and really pay attention to the details. In 4 months you’ll receive a Christmas card!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back