Time didn’t update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daylight savings time went into effect here Sunday, but the time on my Profilux (and lights) didn’t update. I can manually change it, but is there a way to make it update automatically? I would have thought that was what the “Change from winter time…” was for, but I guess not.

Here are my settings:
461C1C59-5249-46AE-929F-992593B528E3.png

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
European daylight savings time isn't for another week or 2. It should correct itself then or you can manually adjust now and then manually adjust again when their DST changes.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yow. So it actually doesn’t update automatically based on the daylight savings time used in the time zone you tell it you’re in?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kind of silly - it should adjust via TZ set - not EU time. Why have an auto settings if we have to manually adjust it (twice)?

Also not clear on the "days" setting. I assume it changes gradually spread over the number of days selected?

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Two clocks are running the ProfiLux 4.

The first clock is a so-called real-time clock (RTC). It shows the actual ("our") time. This is also the time normally seen on the display. In the event of a power failure, this clock runs on a battery-backup.

The second clock runs in the device (internal). This internal clock controls the automatic processes such as dimming, nocturnal decrease, timers, etc.

By default, both clocks run in sync with each other, except when the actual time (e.g., automatic or manual winter time / summer time) is adjusted. Then the internal clock is not adjusted immediately, but within the set days. For example, a setting of 10 days results in 60:10 = 6 minutes daily. The time is "stretched" or "compacted" between 01:00 and 02:00.

Gaël

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gael, but that doesn't answer the question. I wanted to know if there was a way to configure it so the time is updated automatically to daylight savings time, so you don't have to go in and manually change the time twice a year. WMB's answer was that you can't, unless if you live in Europe. Is that correct?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gael, but that doesn't answer the question. I wanted to know if there was a way to configure it so the time is updated automatically to daylight savings time, so you don't have to go in and manually change the time twice a year. WMB's answer was that you can't, unless if you live in Europe. Is that correct?
Bumping this for answers.

Also when the time is manually changed or by NTP I assume there is no offset between the internal and real clock? This sync division is only triggered on EU daylight savings switches?

I understand that DST programming is always somewhat messy, but this implementations feels extremely awkward. I get the desire to gradually change schedules to the new TZ but being 2 weeks+ with the wrong time is not ideal either. Ideally Schedules would follow UTC for the TZ and all schedule times be incremented or decremented by an hour at TZ change. That way their is actually no change in the schedule.

Last edited:

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
my ecotech and ai prime updated automatically,
and i hate it!

daylight savings is an outdated concept,
and man playing with time.

there is no daylight savings on the reef.
toying with an hour twice a year is stressful (imo)
on the inhabitants

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - ideally the schedules would remain constant (tied to a UTC clock) and our "interface" would be what shifts +/- an hour depending on DST settings. I don't care if my actual viewing window Changes from noon - midnight to 1pm - 1am and back twice a year. I just don't want to have to fiddle with schedules or clocks twice a year.

DST is not going away - why? The folks charged with making that decision keep waffling because rolling it back is messy and they have more important things to do... like wrecking everything else that they touch.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gaël

MyGHL - I get no time warning when I login to the P4
iOS app - I get mismatched timezone warning that will not go away.

Using NPT time
UTC-5
Adjust time is set - and set to 7 days.
Can you explain how this all actually works? The brief explanation that already gave is not helping me wrap my head around this.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone figured out how the NTP works?

My GHL clocks drift over time. I would like to use the NTP setting instead of having to adjust my clocks every couple months. However once NTP is on, the time is fixed. Adjusting the time zone doesn't change anything. I saved and refreshed the webpage and it doesn't change the time.

NTP.PNG

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it updates immediately, not sure how long it takes when updating the Time Zone. @Gaël @Vinny@GHLUSA

Do this and it should track:
  1. Set Automatic Setting to None (from NTP).
  2. Set to Local Time.
  3. Set your Time Zone.
  4. Set Automatic Setting back to NTP.
I do this procedure when the clocks change for daylight savings to get the correct time immediately.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yow. So it actually doesn’t update automatically based on the daylight savings time used in the time zone you tell it you’re in?
Doesn't it "adjust" over aslow period (ie. not instantly like a compute would, but rather elapsed over days so as the not shock fish, etc. You can for example run different water temps summer/winter, etc - all of these you would want to slowly change.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ingchr1 for the suggestion. That didn't work. It looks like it will work, but once I refresh the page it goes back to the incorrect time, 1 hour earlier than my time zone.

Macca_75, I think that how it handles time changes if you have that option turned on. I believe it should still allow me to set the correct time immediately.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was messing around with it some more and this time the instructions worked. Not sure I did anything different. Thanks ingchr1.

I think something is off with GHL's time settings. I noticed in myGHL the time is correct for the kH Directors last measurement, but Control Center is an hour later.

myGHL.PNG

GCC.PNG

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I spoke too soon. The P4 time automatically changed back to the incorrect time, 1 hour early.

Interestingly, the KH Director now has an invalid date for the last measurement in myGHL.
myGHL2.PNG

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really sore spot for me and I don't think the timezone functionality is well thought out or implemented in the system.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good point, it was set to -8. I stopped paying attention to that since it didn't seem to affect the time when I changed it. Hopefully it sticks this time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back