Time for the losing my mind rant LOL

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not found in nature?
No idea how he knows they arent, but i think what hes trying to say is that its selective breeding/propagation.

Zoas and mushrooms are quite unique because you can select which polyps you keep and which you dont. (mutations in colour etc).

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i guess there is the rare zoanthid that has morphed in an aquarium and kept the colors. Most of the time the morph will change back to the original color if the polyps are moved away from the other species. Hard to believe utter chaos are a result of that or actual aquarium coral breeding though. I thought I have seen them come in on wild coral rocks or even Mari disks though.
With regards to the crazy colored acro frags for sale, I would say none of them are from breeding or grafting at all. The cool green patterns that swirl in the tip colors is normal for wild or Mari corals that I have seen and normally fades away once put in an aquarium.
I think vendors have went overboard partially because of the small supply of new corals available, taking exadurated pictures is the best way they have found to sell a lot of fragments and make enough money to stay in business. What do you guys think about divers den now? Their pictures are horrible, and not in the sense that they are manipulated to look crazy, they look like they are taken with a horrible camera and the colors are muted and funky looking. Really hard to pic coral from there now. I wonder how much the led they use impacts how they look in the pics. When I get the corals they are actually decent looking most of the time. Not sure why they don’t get a better photographer in this situation.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. The vulgarity and masked vulgarity in this thread is out of hand. I will be going back to clean things up and deciding if further action is needed.

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO divers den pics look great, looks like you get your moneys worth also.

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great considering they are not blue. But greens are way off and some other colors are a little off looking as well. Let’s just say that they could do way better. Either way they are ten times better than most of the coral pics on the net today. Their prices are ok except for the few colonies they put names on are double what they should be imo, I guess that’s how they make a good profit there though.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean all the stuff?

Yes I do. And just because you see the asterisks doesn’t mean that is what was typed. We have a profanity filter that turns certain bad words into asterisks.

Last edited by a moderator:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone. The vulgarity and masked vulgarity in this thread is out of hand. I will be going back to clean things up and deciding if further action is needed.

Thank you.
I dropped off this thread due to such. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and comments and it should be intended to allow each other to learn from comments. Bashing teaches disrespect.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a business, and you do what you need to in order to stay in business. If it was any of ours and we needed to provide for family/families, we would do what we know sells our product as well.

I'm not supporting blasting corals with actinics, but it's up to the consumer to ask for different pictures, under different lighting. I'm a firm believer that any tank can be just as gorgeous as the next without over spending on a coral.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean all the stuff?
Yes I do. And just because you see the asterisks doesn’t mean that is what was typed. We have a profanity filter that turns certain bad words into asterisks.
And just to take that a step further, it is against policy to "self-censor" yourself as well. Meaning, whether you type a bad word that gets turned into asterisks or if you just use asterisk/symbols in place of that word in your original post, we consider that the same thing. Neither is permitted.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/profanity-vulgarity-and-masked-vulgarity.71855/

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can tell you it's 100% what was typed because I'm the one that typed it. They were just asterisks and not vulgar words. And yes I did read what the person said about "self-censoring". I would never curse on a "family forum", well actually 2 of the posts were another employee, but also I wouldn't think to look into if there was a rule against masking the word for the sake of sensitive eyes.

And honestly I'm not one to murky the waters, but someone should really create a poll to see who that would and would no offend on here. See what the members actually want. From what I've seen this seems more like an atmosphere where people can come blow off steam and talk to fellow reefers. Honestly after 30 years in business, I have not met someone in this hobby that DOESN'T sit around and shoot the breeze and not censor what comes out of their mouth. In this shop customers are sitting around till 1 am and just kicking back and having a beer and talking reefs. Public TV barely censors anymore but boards are still doing it? Doesn't make sense to me. Why not create a board where people can say and type what they want and be themselves and talk how they do in the real world? Seems like it would make more people happy then the select few getting upset because someone curses like a sailor. Some points REALLY can't be gotten across without dropping the F-Bomb lol Just bleep em out.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you it's 100% what was typed because I'm the one that typed it. They were just asterisks and not vulgar words.
See the post/link above - it makes no difference.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can tell you it's 100% what was typed because I'm the one that typed it. They were just asterisks and not vulgar words.
Hi everyone, we're not going to turn this into a debate about site rules. If you have questions about the rules moving forward, please feel free to contact a staff member. Here's the rule (posted above by @evolved) about our policy on masked vulgarity: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/profanity-vulgarity-and-masked-vulgarity.71855/. I'd like to point out that the posts were edited and not removed as a courtesy. We know everyone doesn't find the same stuff as offensive, so please don't take it as a slight if we edit a word (or group of symbols used to replace a word). It's part of keeping the site family-friendly and fun for hobbyists of all ages. :)

Now...let's get back to the debate topic of the thread. :D

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh come on it's a little funny. I said my part lol But I won't do it anymore. I'm sorry.

black_no_censorship_button.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Firstly- Easter wishes to you.
This is a very laid back community with much respect. Realize , it may be of NO intent on your behalf , however I have 6 years of college and one of the things I learned about writing in general is TONE. Tone can be certain asterisks up to Capital letters which implies Yelling. It is surprising yes, but a signal of writing which " SUGGESTS" many things.

I know you seem frustrated. I see you are a newer member and WE Welcome you, and we truly do. There is lots of topics and enjoyment on this site to get frustrated over suggestions. Take suggestions to heart as our well trained staff members are not being mean but rather trying to put you on the right path to communicating with others on this site and offering you full enjoyment of the resources offered.

Hopefully, this clarifies discrepancies. Would love to see pics of your tank if you have. Sharing tanks is one of the highlights of belonging to Reef2Reef.

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly- Easter wishes to you.
This is a very laid back community with much respect. Realize , it may be of NO intent on your behalf , however I have 6 years of college and one of the things I learned about writing in general is TONE. Tone can be certain asterisks up to Capital letters which implies Yelling. It is surprising yes, but a signal of writing which " SUGGESTS" many things.

I know you seem frustrated. I see you are a newer member and WE Welcome you, and we truly do. There is lots of topics and enjoyment on this site to get frustrated over suggestions. Take suggestions to heart as our well trained staff members are not being mean but rather trying to put you on the right path to communicating with others on this site and offering you full enjoyment of the resources offered.

Hopefully, this clarifies discrepancies. Would love to see pics of your tank if you have. Sharing tanks is one of the highlights of belonging to Reef2Reef.

LOL Who's frustrated? I'm too old, been through too much, and been in this industry for too long to care. Do I think it's right to give a response out of respect if I'm addressed? Yes sir. Some people just believe what they believe and may not be frustrated or angry as much as they are kind of stating their point of view. Like if someone tells me they enjoy fighting dogs in their part-time. I'm going to say I don't think that's right, but I can't control their life or their words or their actions - just is what it is, not a reason to get upset. Most of the people who work here have served in the military, so we think censorship is wrong. Still, it's not OUR board so we have to abide by the rules but will always speak up if we see something that we don't agree with like censorship.

Here watch I'll do it right here lol What's up with all these pictures lately where people are holding fish in their HAND to show the fish off? That to me just doesn't seem right. It seems to be an increasing fad.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
LOL Who's frustrated? I'm too old, been through too much, and been in this industry for too long to care. Do I think it's right to give a response out of respect if I'm addressed? Yes sir. Some people just believe what they believe and may not be frustrated or angry as much as they are kind of stating their point of view. Like if someone tells me they enjoy fighting dogs in their part-time. I'm going to say I don't think that's right, but I can't control their life or their words or their actions - just is what it is, not a reason to get upset. Most of the people who work here have served in the military, so we think censorship is wrong. Still, it's not OUR board so we have to abide by the rules but will always speak up if we see something that we don't agree with like censorship.

Here watch I'll do it right here lol What's up with all these pictures lately where people are holding fish in their HAND to show the fish off? That to me just doesn't seem right. It seems to be an increasing fad.

Not sure on the hand pics as I believe intent is a close up but like yourself, I WILL NOT be holding any fish in my hand. . . LOL. I guess everyone has their practices and old I am too - perhaps we are old fashioned, or perhaps more sensible. Kind of hard to establish our roles in this world, but I do know conversations on this site for me have been relaxing and at times humorous and I take all comments with a grain of salt and look for the positive in each message

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the hand pics as I believe intent is a close up but like yourself, I WILL NOT be holding any fish in my hand. . . LOL. I guess everyone has their practices and old I am too - perhaps we are old fashioned, or perhaps more sensible. Kind of hard to establish our roles in this world, but I do know conversations on this site for me have been relaxing and at times humorous and I take all comments with a grain of salt and look for the positive in each message

Yeah I'm the same. Some people get whipped into a frenzy over some stupid stuff, but they're usually kids. After what I've been through, eh eh, that isn't me. I just try to be courteous and say "Here's my point of view" - but what helps most is understanding my point of view has no control over what others do LOL People are going to think and believe what they want to anyways so I just am honest about everything and respond when addressed. See watch this...

I am sorry that I did not see that section of the rules and I did not know that typing asterisks to hide or censor my words was not allowed. To any of the moderators I did not actually type curse words, I actually typed asterisks, which I understand does not make it any better because it is still against the rules. I take full responsibility for not knowing that was against the rules of the forum and I will not do it again.

See, I'm WAY too old to get frustrated. I can state my point of view about censorship but in the end, what I just did is why so many people use this HOLE to buy their supplies. It's because we all know there's no way to argue right and wrong. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Period

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I'm the same. Some people get whipped into a frenzy over some stupid stuff, but they're usually kids. After what I've been through, eh eh, that isn't me. I just try to be courteous and say "Here's my point of view" - but what helps most is understanding my point of view has no control over what others do LOL People are going to think and believe what they want to anyways so I just am honest about everything and respond when addressed. See watch this...

I am sorry that I did not see that section of the rules and I did not know that typing asterisks to hide or censor my words was not allowed. To any of the moderators I did not actually type curse words, I actually typed asterisks, which I understand does not make it any better because it is still against the rules. I take full responsibility for not knowing that was against the rules of the forum and I will not do it again.

See, I'm WAY too old to get frustrated. I can state my point of view about censorship but in the end, what I just did is why so many people use this HOLE to buy their supplies. It's because we all know there's no way to argue right and wrong. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Period

MANY GOOD deals to be found in the classifieds

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my corals under "daylight" type lighting. I like the fact that the colors I have are the same as they were when I purchased them. Saves me a lot of heartbreak

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back