OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices have escalated annually since 2016 and until we as consumers stop buying them or paying the prices we shake our head with, it will not stop. We are the ones who drive the prices up by purchasing and SURE CAN BE THE ONES WHO DRIVE THEM DOWN BY SIMPLE DISCIPLINES- NOT PAYING THE PRICES OR ATTENTION TO THESE OVERPRICED/MIS-NAMED PIECES until the vendors get it.

Supply and Demand. If the Demand goes down the Supply goes up and the price goes down. Make it so they're harvesting frags like they're caulerpa or xenia. That's when the My Little Pont Yogi Bear Booberry will drop to $4 a frag. That could be a real name for all I know. Just ramble off 5 cartoon characters and call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and Demand. If the Demand goes down the Supply goes up and the price goes down. Make it so they're harvesting frags like they're caulerpa or xenia. That's when the My Little Pont Yogi Bear Booberry will drop to $4 a frag. That could be a real name for all I know. Just ramble off 5 cartoon characters and call it a day.
It is also how fast corals grow. Sexy corals op is so $200 a frag because it’s a slow grower. I’m willing to pay $150 a frag for it because it grows slow as. I have expensive stuff in my tank... it’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay for it. If a overpriced Mercedes sat in a show room for a year, the price is going to continually drop until someone buys it. If all of those cars sit forever, Benz will say screw it and lower the price to still make money on their inventory...

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not opposed to high prices on some stuff because sometimes it makes sense. For example look at utter chaos zoas. When they came out there were the best since sliced bread and were selling for $500 pp. because there’s more of them out there and not too many people bought at that high price, they’re at $40-$50 pp. growth and demand...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is also how fast corals grow. Sexy corals op is so $200 a frag because it’s a slow grower. I’m willing to pay $150 a frag for it because it grows slow as. I have expensive stuff in my tank... it’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay for it. If a overpriced Mercedes sat in a show room for a year, the price is going to continually drop until someone buys it. If all of those cars sit forever, Benz will say screw it and lower the price to still make money on their inventory...
Are you sure about that? Nature doesnt usually favor sexy coral - and I'm not sure there are genes that would promote that - but - if a coral were a slow grower - to me it would have to have more defenses, etc. This wasnt a comment on the price - I agree with you. It might be a slow grower in some tanks and a fast grower in others>

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about that? Nature doesnt usually favor sexy coral - and I'm not sure there are genes that would promote that - but - if a coral were a slow grower - to me it would have to have more defenses, etc. This wasnt a comment on the price - I agree with you. It might be a slow grower in some tanks and a fast grower in others>
The op is a aquacultured strain. And yes, it grows slow as . My buddy, lfs, aqua sd, and world wide corals, as well as the mini colony in my tank all agreed with that fact ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The op is a aquacultured strain. And yes, it grows slow as. My buddy, lfs, aqua sd, and world wide corals, as well as the mini colony in my tank all agreed with that fact ;)

Curious - why do you suppose that is ? (or why do they think that is?). not a debate just a question? Do aquacultured coral grow slower in general than wild>? If so - why?

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why do you suppose that is ? (or why do they think that is?). not a debate just a question? Do aquacultured coral grow slower in general than wild>? If so - why?
Never said that aquacultured coral grows slower then wild coral. I said this SPECIFIC specimen grows slow. I don’t know why it grows so slow but it doesn’t grow nearly as fast as others.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never said that aquacultured coral grows slower then wild coral. I said this SPECIFIC specimen grows slow. I don’t know why it grows so slow but it doesn’t grow nearly as fast as others.
Thanks. thats what I was wondering - could it be conditions? No critique meant..... And I guess what I meant was - was it just yours - or all of the that type....

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Thanks. thats what I was wondering - could it be conditions? No critique meant..... And I guess what I meant was - was it just yours - or all of the that type....
All of that type... is pretty sure wwc , ASD, and my lfs know what they’re talking about LOL

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No
All of that type... is pretty sure wwc , ASD, and my lfs know what they’re talking about LOL
The reason I asked - is that I didnt think that aquacultured coral was genetically different than wild coral. So to me there would be no difference - except the conditions into which the coral is placed - as compared to wild. I will take your word for it:)

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I asked - is that I didnt think that aquacultured coral was genetically different than wild coral. So to me there would be no difference - except the conditions into which the coral is placed - as compared to wild. I will take your word for it:)
There are some wild colonies that grow slower then others in nature too ;)

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, a lot of these corals really do look like that straight off the reef, if you view them in that lighting that is. I spent multiple summers collecting in Indonesia for the farms, just for fun. I have acquired an eye for what's what while diving, and I can tell you there are corals on the reef that have intense colors, and when you place them under actinic they are even more intense. Straight actinic lighting won't do anything to help further color or improve colors of these corals, it just makes those colors visible. I agree, the editing of photos is too much, and some of the prices are a little insane, but some of the crazy corals you see really do look like that, right out of the ocean. You just don't see them in that lighting when they're on the reef.

OHHHHHHHHH I wish I could post pictures of the messed up corals I'm talking about. I can't cause I don't wanna get yelled at by some of these retailers though. Most people know what I'm talking about. The WICKED crazy ones that are like (just an example, if I'm describing an actual coral it's by sheer coincidence)...like the neon blue with neon pink polyps and purple tips and those tips have yellow and even the tips of those tips have green coloration with purple stripes then the polyps are coming out of red holes and . Some of these I have a feeling a syringe was involved. I'm just saying if it goes beyond bonkers something isn't right. Makes me feel better to take a pic of my real corals lol

IMG_0957 (4).JPG

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHHHHHHHH I wish I could post pictures. I can't cause I don't wanna get yelled at by some of these retailers though. Most people know what I'm talking about. The WICKED crazy ones that are like (just an example, if I'm describing an actual coral it's by sheer coincidence)...like the neon blue with neon pink polyps and purple tips and those tips have yellow and even the tips of those tips have green coloration with purple stripes then the polyps are coming out of red holes. Some of these I have a feeling a syringe was involved. I'm just saying if it goes beyond bonkers something isn't right. Makes me feel better to take a pic of my real corals lol

IMG_0957 (4).JPG
Do you know how corals spawn? During spawning is where these corals come from. When the different eggs merge during spawning, new species are formed, making crazy colors.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utt
OHHHHHHHHH I wish I could post pictures. I can't cause I don't wanna get yelled at by some of these retailers though. Most people know what I'm talking about. The WICKED crazy ones that are like (just an example, if I'm describing an actual coral it's by sheer coincidence)...like the neon blue with neon pink polyps and purple tips and those tips have yellow and even the tips of those tips have green coloration with purple stripes then the polyps are coming out of red holes. Some of these I have a feeling a syringe was involved. I'm just saying if it goes beyond bonkers something isn't right. Makes me feel better to take a pic of my real corals lol

IMG_0957 (4).JPG
as well as grafting. Utter chaos zoas aren’t found in nature btw... but here’s mine just for kicks :)

CD4CB060-2453-445F-A6A7-30413DC29A7E.jpeg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few threads lately all revolving around advertised colors and sizes and costs of the corals that we buy online .
To name a few threads like mine
1 tell about Oregon blue tort . I expressed my disappointment in coral color as advertised. Another is .
2 has a acropora disappointed you and then this very thread
3 loseing my mind rant .

I think we’re all in the same boat . I hope the sponsors are reading these threads with us . I do understand why they lie about color . I don’t know why they would lie about size . I do know why they pull the bait and switch on us , but it’s just wrong and disappointing to us consumers. Thx

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't buy those expensive corals. When you get corals they will change colors. I don't like to much blue but do like true actinic with daylight. Besides most of the coral frags I get in a year normally have better colors than when I got them.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHHHHHHHH I wish I could post pictures of the messed up corals I'm talking about. I can't cause I don't wanna get yelled at by some of these retailers though. Most people know what I'm talking about. The WICKED crazy ones that are like (just an example, if I'm describing an actual coral it's by sheer coincidence)...like the neon blue with neon pink polyps and purple tips and those tips have yellow and even the tips of those tips have green coloration with purple stripes then the polyps are coming out of red holes. Some of these I have a feeling a syringe was involved. I'm just saying if it goes beyond bonkers something isn't right. Makes me feel better to take a pic of my real corals lol

IMG_0957 (4).JPG
I mean if you're going to start a thread about it, why not post some pics of what you're referring to? These people should be called out, imo. Just not sure why everyone wants to complain, but hesitates to name vendors/sellers? Maybe if more people were aware of what's fake they'd steer clear and this wouldn't be an issue..

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how corals spawn? During spawning is where these corals come from. When the different eggs merge during spawning, new species are formed, making crazy colors

I'm going to go ahead and ask what you're talking about? The people producing these frags aren't manipulating genetic code by taking the sperm and eggs from coral spawning and mixing them up, least last I hear that wasn't occurring. This is also an event that would very rarely, if ever, occur in a captive reef tank. That's also basically saying that the coloration of these corals that are kept primarily under actinic lights, is somehow embedded in their genetic coding. The frags exist simply because they're coming off colonies that had the color manipulated by using spectrums of light that bring those colors out.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices have escalated annually since 2016 and until we as consumers stop buying them or paying the prices we shake our head with, it will not stop. We are the ones who drive the prices up by purchasing and SURE CAN BE THE ONES WHO DRIVE THEM DOWN BY SIMPLE DISCIPLINES- NOT PAYING THE PRICES OR ATTENTION TO THESE OVERPRICED/MIS-NAMED PIECES until the vendors get it.

I agree with this completely, I just got back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus and I can't believe the prices of some of this stuff that used to be 10 or 15 bucks for a good size frag. I mean it's a problem when old school ora bird's nest is 60+ for a small frag now days when people used to give it away for free.. or even better cheato 30 bucks for a golf ball size, when most of us threw it in the trash when we cut it back? It's rediculas. I have seen some pretty nice stuff under 14k LEDs (which used to be my go to MH bulb the Phoenix 14k 250s) but still 2 or 300 for a 1/2 frag that will prob not make it in most systems. Has me wondering where this hobby is headed.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back