Time it takes for salt mix to be ready for use

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing I notice different manufacturers have different amount of time to wait before the mix can be used in our tanks. The range varies from right way to as long as 24 hours. Is there a chemistry answer as to why some mixes require more time for the salt water to be ready to use?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing I notice different manufacturers have different amount of time to wait before the mix can be used in our tanks. The range varies from right way to as long as 24 hours. Is there a chemistry answer as to why some mixes require more time for the salt water to be ready to use?

It's really about water clarity. It's a indicator of mixing of all the elements into solution.

That's a broad statement, but is a good indicator. Some salt mixes take longer to fully dissolve, thus 24 hours for some to be clear. For me, once newly made saltwater is clear, I can use it.

OP
OP
pga7602

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really about water clarity. It's a indicator of mixing of all the elements into solution.

That's a broad statement, but is a good indicator. Some salt mixes take longer to fully dissolve, thus 24 hours for some to be clear. For me, once newly made saltwater is clear, I can use it.
Hmmm the one labeled 24 hours clear in 10 mins.....

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, not less than 30min and not more than 4h.... the fastest being AF reef Salt.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's as little as an hour and as much as 24 hours. I bet there is a bit more precipitate when mixing longer, but minor. I think as long as the water is clear and the ph is in normal range you are good to go.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to all this, and using reef crystals (dont kick me im a noob) and i have mixed for ~1 hour to over a day when planned water change didnt happen due to life, have not seen any ill effects from any mixing time. Id also like to know if im causing any long term damage.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to all this, and using reef crystals (dont kick me im a noob) and i have mixed for ~1 hour to over a day when planned water change didnt happen due to life, have not seen any ill effects from any mixing time. Id also like to know if im causing any long term damage.
I used to use that when I started but it produces super high dkh. Only really good if you have a lot of sps (what my lfs told me)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I mix a barrel of water it usually sits circulating for a day or so. I have to dose a little alk to bring it back up otherwise I'll use it. Now I won't let it sit for week !
I would think just follow the directions unless Ya need it right away .

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diffence is because of ph after mixing imo.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be mixed very fast (5 minutes) if you aerate it enough. pH is usually the concern, although most mixes are now formulated close to the use pH (not so in the past). Adequate oxygenation will not take especially long. That said, i often mixed overnight.

FWIW, I would not rely on claims by manufacturers about how long it should or should not be mixed. I've questioned some on this and got back nonsensical reasons. Red Sea literally claims you should mix but not aerate, until the pH is stable. Their rep's explanation of this seeming conundrum was less than informed in terms of chemical understanding.

OP
OP
pga7602

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be mixed very fast (5 minutes) if you aerate it enough. pH is usually the concern, although most mixes are now formulated close to the use pH (not so in the past). Adequate oxygenation will not take especially long. That said, i often mixed overnight.

FWIW, I would not rely on claims by manufacturers about how long it should or should not be mixed. I've questioned some on this and got back nonsensical reasons. Red Sea literally claims you should mix but not aerate, until the pH is stable. Their rep's explanation of this seeming conundrum was less than informed in terms of chemical understanding.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. You answered my question. I am only asking for emergencies when I have to do a very large water change.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a powerhead and heater to mix the salt well and aerate it plus bring it up to the right temperature so that it doesn’t shock and stress your livestock. Leave the lid on the new saltwater also, since water absorbs gasses and collect dust, pollen and chemicals from the air.

Martin Kuhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix with a powerhead and a heater (for the comfort of your animals). That brings enough Oxygen into the fresh seawater. 5-10 min mixing and you should be fine.

Leaving the freshly mixed salt water in the mixing vessel I noticed kind of slime assembling. I think this is already a bacteria carpet, and no precipitation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 63 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back