Time to be done with Neptune

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home today to find my EB832 broken and I’ve decided it’s time to be done with Neptune.

I bought the EB832 14 months ago to replace the previous one that had failed. The internal power supply that powered the relays had failed so the unit turned on but the relays wouldn’t work, making it functionally useless. Now the new one has done the same thing meaning my controller has one useful output - the FMM that’s controlling The ATO. I also just got done spending an hour getting the liquid level sensor to work again - it lost it’s calibration in 6 months.

Having a controller is great. Having an unreliable controller sucks. Neptune has apparently decided not to make build quality a priority meaning their reliability sucks. That means I have a controller I can’t rely on. Now I have to decide if I should get a GHL, a CoralVue Hydros or simply piece together the important aspects and go without, or simply get rid of everything.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. I had to replace 1 eb832 a couple of years ago, so far so good.
Lots of good info/threads about other controllers here.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think theres also a diy video how to replace that power supply.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or contact @_AV I believe he can upgrade the parts you need and this won’t happen again. There is no perfect controller, when I first got my Apex I was like what the heck, why did I spend my money on this cheap plastic, no good, can't calibrate point of sale ( I didn’t write "point of sale", but mods, same first letters). Still feel that way sometimes, but the "devil you know"...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a controller is great. Having an unreliable controller sucks. Neptune has apparently decided not to make build quality a priority meaning their reliability sucks. That means I have a controller I can’t rely on. Now I have to decide if I should get a GHL, a CoralVue Hydros or simply piece together the important aspects and go without, or simply get rid of everything.

Don't start thinking the grass is greener over there.

All controllers have issues ...

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home today to find my EB832 broken and I’ve decided it’s time to be done with Neptune.

I bought the EB832 14 months ago to replace the previous one that had failed. The internal power supply that powered the relays had failed so the unit turned on but the relays wouldn’t work, making it functionally useless. Now the new one has done the same thing meaning my controller has one useful output - the FMM that’s controlling The ATO. I also just got done spending an hour getting the liquid level sensor to work again - it lost it’s calibration in 6 months.

Harry's Aquatics has an upgrade kit

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it also depends on a few variables besides quality of the component. Such as the amperage draw of the equipment, frequency of outlet cycling, location of the eb832, and maintenance. About once a year I use a vacuum to remove the dust that accumulates at the cooling duct for the eb832. The fan inside keeps the power supply cool, and if the duct gets plugged, it may overheat. I don't plug my lights into the eb832, as they have their own controller, so there is mostly low amperage equipment powered by it, with the exception of the heaters. But my heaters have their own built in thermostat, and the Apex is a backup in case of failure.
I hope you find a solution that works for you, but I don't think there is a perfect product out there.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t use controllers for the first 20 or so odd years off reefkeeping.

Then I got an apex in 2018. It was awesome until the eb832 died. I thought I was done with controllers but replaced the eb832 with an eb8 and eb4. All has been good since then.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend any all in one controllers. I do use cole parmer ph 500 For monitoring ph/ temp / Orp. It’s also got 5 spdt relays for You control freaks lol

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or contact @_AV I believe he can upgrade the parts you need and this won’t happen again. There is no perfect controller, when I first got my Apex I was like what the heck, why did I spend my money on this cheap plastic, no good, can't calibrate point of sale ( I didn’t write "point of sale", but mods, same first letters). Still feel that way sometimes, but the "devil you know"...
Yeah, I'm going to check with him. I agree the plastic seems cheap but I actually haven't had problems with the physical construction; it's the quality of the components and reliability that I have issues with.
Don't start thinking the grass is greener over there.

All controllers have issues ...
yeah, I'm just looking for fewer issues.
I think it also depends on a few variables besides quality of the component. Such as the amperage draw of the equipment, frequency of outlet cycling, location of the eb832, and maintenance. About once a year I use a vacuum to remove the dust that accumulates at the cooling duct for the eb832. The fan inside keeps the power supply cool, and if the duct gets plugged, it may overheat. I don't plug my lights into the eb832, as they have their own controller, so there is mostly low amperage equipment powered by it, with the exception of the heaters. But my heaters have their own built in thermostat, and the Apex is a backup in case of failure.
I hope you find a solution that works for you, but I don't think there is a perfect product out there.
The EB832s have a small (?12V) power supply that they use to power the relays. They sourced this from a cheap supplier and they are prone to burning out. If this power supply burns out the relays don't work and the EB832 is all but useless.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Relays have a life span. Amperage increases heat and heat kills components. There is a degree of maintenance involved to keep them running and if anyone thinks it's a lifetime part, they are wrong. Keeping it clean and not subjecting it to a heavy load will extend life. Using peripherals that have a soft start, like DC pumps will help a lot as well.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Relays have a life span. Amperage increases heat and heat kills components. There is a degree of maintenance involved to keep them running and if anyone thinks it's a lifetime part, they are wrong. Keeping it clean and not subjecting it to a heavy load will extend life. Using peripherals that have a soft start, like DC pumps will help a lot as well.
My issue is the component is only 14 months old, and it's not the relays. The EB832 has also been in a separate cabinet outside of the sump with good ventilation so salt and heat shouldn't be an issue, either.

A few years ago I bought a pair of WAV powerheads - $370 or $185 each. After less than 2 years one of them died as well with no option for repair. For years I used cheap Karelia powerheads that were less than $60 and they all lasted longer than that.

As an update, the EV832 started working again but has randomly quit working 2 more times since. Each time all the lights are on but none of the outlets (120V, 24V or 1Link) work. I submitted a ticket to Neptune and they had me force a firmware update so we'll see...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eb832 12vdc supply is more than likely kaput. You can send it to Neptune and they will sell you a exchange eb832 or you can send it to @_AV had have it fixed cheaper or go with a diy option to change the supply out.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw out 4 EB32's in the past 3 years. I recently recently setup a new tank and also learned about HYDROS. I just saw the hydros last week. If I would have known I would have tried them out. Don't get me wrong I really do like the Apex and have been using it for over 10 years. HYDROS seams to have a few cool things and is focused on better build quality. The pricing also appears better. Now that I went and got a new EB32, all new probes, a Trident and a few other new modules I guess it's too late. Crossing my fingers though as this setup happens to be a lot neater and the components are all better placed. I do still use the older EB8 which has to be 7 or more years old. I would have looked for another one but I needed some other ports on the EB32.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eb832 is just plain junk! They are filled with cheap components, and they charge a premium for those cheap components. Just watch a few @_AV 's repair videos, and you can see all the cheap components they use.

The older eb8's will continue to work for 30 years or more.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eb832 is just plain junk! They are filled with cheap components, and they charge a premium for those cheap components. Just watch a few @_AV 's repair videos, and you can see all the cheap components they use.

The older eb8's will continue to work for 30 years or more.
Imagine what it would cost with top shelf components! ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back