Time to start dosing but what and how much?

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice here, I'll add mine. I test weekly Alk, Cal, Mg, (big 3) NO3, PO4, Salinity & temp. I only do a WC if my nutrients are high. As long as everything else is stable I just add trace elements weekly. When you start to see coraline algae you will notice your big 3 being consumed. This is when you would start dosing. Take the difference of your weekly readings and divide by 7 and you have the daily dose. Use the BRS calculator to figure out how much of what additive. You can start dosing by hand, but a dosing pump will make life easier. I would also get some better test kits. API is ok to start but there are more accurate tests out there.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone said, just do regular water changes for as long as you can. Once the coralline sets in, be ready to dose. It consumes a lot Ca and Alk. After your tank starts consuming them, test at whatever time is best for you. In 3 days test again at the same time. Take the difference and divide by three, this will be how much you need to dose daily.
I dose Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride. I use a DOS controlled by my Trident. Dosing pumps are nice because they help stop the huge PH swings I get from the Soda Ash. Lots of people start off with Kalkwasser in the beginning and move to a version of 2part later or switch to a Calcium Reactor. Kalkwasser is pickling lime I think, Soda Ash is baked baking soda. You can easily do it yourself easily and cheaply. You can find the DIY recipes on here.
Where will the coralline come from or is it part of the “ugly stages“

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where will the coralline come from or is it part of the “ugly stages“
Coralline is red and purple hard algae that will cover your rocks. And glass and power heads. It stops a lot of other non desirable algaes from growing. It will come in via snails, hermits, and/or frag plugs. It will start growing as soon as your parameters are stable. You will know it because it is hard and you have to scrape it off.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline is red and purple hard algae that will cover your rocks. And glass and power heads. It stops a lot of other non desirable algaes from growing. It will come in via snails, hermits, and/or frag plugs. It will start growing as soon as your parameters are stable. You will know it because it is hard and you have to scrape it off.
Is it pretty and will it go away on its own is it what makes the rocks in marine tanks purple?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pretty and will it go away on its own is it what makes the rocks in marine tanks purple?
If it goes away, your tank is in trouble. Yes, it's what makes the rocks purple. It is also the reason you will have to clean your powerheads regularly. Take a snail and scrape off the purple on its shell into the water column. Or next time you are at the LFS get a cheap frag covered in purple and scrape that off into the tank. It is the first sign of a mature tank. Or at least a tank that is beginning to mature.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple on the rocks is corraline algae.

Attachments

• 21B8A45F-9B49-4E1E-80C4-C2959FF48E2A.jpeg
    21B8A45F-9B49-4E1E-80C4-C2959FF48E2A.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2A57ED68-7DC6-48B1-912F-06621B545C32.jpeg
    2A57ED68-7DC6-48B1-912F-06621B545C32.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple on the rocks is corraline algae.
Right ok that is actually kind of pretty aha when I go to get some more corals this week I will see if any have coralline algae on them

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right ok that is actually kind of pretty aha when I go to get some more corals this week I will see if any have coralline algae on them
If they do, scrape it off into the tank after dipping it. It will explode if the parameters are good and steady. It will consume large amounts of Ca and Alk. I love it personally.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they do, scrape it off into the tank after dipping it. It will explode if the parameters are good and steady. It will consume large amounts of Ca and Alk. I love it personally.
I will thank you

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back