What time to dose all for reef

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to start dosing all for reef in my water box 110 mixed reef that is lps dominant. I got a brs 1.1ml dosing pump and I have an apex system to control it. I was wondering what time should I be dosing from? Should I dose 24/7 or only when the lights are on? Also should I dose hourly or every 2 hours? I know that the answer is probably going to be depends on your tank but if you have any tips it would be much appreciated.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 100 gallon system I dose 2 times a day a total of 16 ml with my doser, tank is fine, if I had a different doser I would choose to do it over a 24 hour cycle.

Upvote 0

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So I want to start dosing all for reef in my water box 110 mixed reef that is lps dominant. I got a brs 1.1ml dosing pump and I have an apex system to control it. I was wondering what time should I be dosing from? Should I dose 24/7 or only when the lights are on? Also should I dose hourly or every 2 hours? I know that the answer is probably going to be depends on your tank but if you have any tips it would be much appreciated.

I’m getting back into dosing after a calx reactor. I used to dose alkalinity during the day and calcium at night. Now I have a Ghl doser, I dose every hour with alk, and do calcium with 6 doses at night.

If you can, the more often you dose, the better it will be. But if you don’t have a full packed spa tank, bigger fewer doses will be fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting back into dosing after a calx reactor. I used to dose alkalinity during the day and calcium at night. Now I have a Ghl doser, I dose every hour with alk, and do calcium with 6 doses at night.

If you can, the more often you dose, the better it will be. But if you don’t have a full packed spa tank, bigger fewer doses will be fine.
I want to dose all for reef just to keep it simple but I don’t just did not know if like my tank consumes more in the day then at night and then I would have higher levels at night and not know about it

Upvote 0

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I want to dose all for reef just to keep it simple but I don’t just did not know if like my tank consumes more in the day then at night and then I would have higher levels at night and not know about it
The corals uptake alkalinity and calcium 24/7, but a majority of it is during photo period.

Like right now I’m dosing 0.5 alk every hour. My alk goes down a little bit during the photo period, and during the night, it goes slightly up, so it basically evens out

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef works a little differently that traditional two part dosing in that it uses calcium formate and it is released over time as bacteria break it down. I dose all at once in the mornings in my 210 gallon system and my alkalinity stays spot on between 9.0-9.2 in a 24 hrs period as measured by my trident. There may be a benefit to continued dosing during the day but calcium formate should not be stripped in our filtration systems, at least not significantly enough where multiple small doses might help. Just my two cents! Good luck, I absolutely love this product!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for reef works a little differently that traditional two part dosing in that it uses calcium formate and it is released over time as bacteria break it down. I dose all at once in the mornings in my 210 gallon system and my alkalinity stays spot on between 9.0-9.2 in a 24 hrs period as measured by my trident. There may be a benefit to continued dosing during the day but calcium formate should not be stripped in our filtration systems, at least not significantly enough where multiple small doses might help. Just my two cents! Good luck, I absolutely love this product!
So would you recommend auto dosing all for reef all at once in the morning?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time doesn't likely matter much, especially at low doses but I'd dose it in the AM.

Two reasons are will have a very small O2 and pH lowering effect in the hours after it is dosed, and alk will show up over a period of time after dosing, while alk is most often consumed more during the daytime.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back