Time to start dosing but what and how much?

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a 22 gal (80L) marine tank with 2 percula clowns , 1 blood shrimp 2 trochus snails and a few hermits
Coral wise I have. A small Duncan , some green star polyps and an Acan and today as I am posting is the day after I got the corals so now I need to start dosing my tank but I know nothing about it can anyone help ?
Help is appreciated

A87E1846-8981-477E-862C-2CE46619E2FD.jpeg EBC03E81-33FF-47BD-9178-11A116ECE441.jpeg 072159A3-B14B-4E55-9A3F-9145E855E1B4.jpeg EF416A10-E290-4D4B-B363-FEF56B8FE7E5.jpeg

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to start dosing yet
As long as you do regular water changes that will replenish your elements

as for when and how much, that is something you need to experiment with
Ok thank you

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep just keep testing your water. As long as your levels are staying within range you are good with just water changes

Yeet.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids and amino acids/Red Sea ab+ work well for me. When u try dosing down the line for when your corals start using the elements faster than a water change can replace (you’ll know from testing your water) all for reef by tropic Marin is good but expensive.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids and amino acids/Red Sea ab+ work well for me. When u try dosing down the line for when your corals start using the elements faster than a water change can replace (you’ll know from testing your water) all for reef by tropic Marin is good but expensive.
Well I guess I’ve gotten myself into one of the most expensive hobby’s lol

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits do you currently have, how often do you use them and what readings do you get when you use them?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits do you currently have, how often do you use them and what readings do you get when you use them?
I use the API master test kit every few weeks
Ph: 8
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0 ( sometimes there is a tiny bit )
Nitrate:slightly above 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can target feed mysis or pellets if you want to the ones with mouths but I would avoid powdered foods like reef roids. Your tank is young and foods like they can easily bring on cyano or algae.

Even if you don’t feed any of them... they will grow just fine (maybe a bit slower) as they are photosynthetic.

You don’t dose until you have a big enough coral load and growth that you have a significant drops in parameters. You find out how much to dose by testing frequently to figure out your tanks usage. Never blindly dose as that will certainly cause a lot of potential issues.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can target feed mysis or pellets if you want to the ones with mouths but I would avoid powdered foods like reef roids. Your tank is young and foods like they can easily bring on cyano or algae.

Even if you don’t feed any of them... they will grow just fine (maybe a bit slower) as they are photosynthetic.

You don’t dose until you have a big enough coral load and growth that you have a significant drops in parameters. You find out how much to dose by testing frequently to figure out your tanks usage. Never blindly dose as that will certainly cause a lot of potential issues.
Ok thank you

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to start dosing .
The #1 rule of reefing .
do not dose or add anything that the need can’t be tested .

if you don’t see a increase in consumption that water changes don’t replenish .
there is no point dosing anything .

the few corals you have will not consume that much any time soon .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little example for you .
every system is different but .
my 230 gal stocked with mostly sps frags does not require any dosing .
everything is encrusting , growing and still maintains stable

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little example for you .
every system is different but .
my 230 gal stocked with mostly sps frags does not require any dosing .
everything is encrusting , growing and still maintains stable
Oh ok so when I get more corals I will test more often to see whether my ph drops and if it does I add baking soda is that right or am I completely wrong ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok so when I get more corals I will test more often to see whether my ph drops and if it does I add baking soda is that right or am I completely wrong ?
Not pH... you measure alk and I would buy a commercial product as a beginner and you don’t just add it.. you follow their calculator or math equation to add a specific amount.

You want to know your daily consumption of alk. I usually do this by testing for a week every day to get a baseline. I usually start this after my usual water change. From there out, you test once or twice a week because if can also change, especially early on.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone said, just do regular water changes for as long as you can. Once the coralline sets in, be ready to dose. It consumes a lot Ca and Alk. After your tank starts consuming them, test at whatever time is best for you. In 3 days test again at the same time. Take the difference and divide by three, this will be how much you need to dose daily.
I dose Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride. I use a DOS controlled by my Trident. Dosing pumps are nice because they help stop the huge PH swings I get from the Soda Ash. Lots of people start off with Kalkwasser in the beginning and move to a version of 2part later or switch to a Calcium Reactor. Kalkwasser is pickling lime I think, Soda Ash is baked baking soda. You can easily do it yourself easily and cheaply. You can find the DIY recipes on here.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back