Timer to turn on equipment after manual shutoff?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

Hopefully this is the correct area to ask this.

Right now I'm fw but am getting things ready for my first sw so this applies to both.

I manually shut down my tanks (pumps, filters, etc) when I feed my fish which isn't at a regular time of day other than it's usually once in the morning and once at night. My problem is that I have periodically forgot to turn the system back on. This usually happens if I get distracted then leave the house or in the evening if I'm tired and not paying attention. I go to bed only to wake up the next day to silence and realize I forgot to turn everything back on. Thankfully my FW guys are pretty tolerant of this but I don't think a sw system would be so forgiving (or am I wrong)?

Sooooo.... Is there a timer or controller that can be set to turn on automatically if it detects power is off for a certain period of time (ex: turn on after 30 mins if no power detected)? I've been looking at timers but so far I have only been able to find ones that go off then back on again at preset times (like for lights). Maybe this is wishful thinking? LOL

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like it can do exactly what you want

Review on amazon
koreanbane
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Reviewed in the United States on January 31, 2020
So many features, and cheap too
This is a great timer, I use it for a lot of different applications in my saltwater aquarium. Sometimes I want to turn off my tank filter for 30 minutes so my corals can feed on the powdered food I give them, and don't want the food to be sucked into the filter. For that I push 3 buttons on this timer, and 30 minutes later my filter turns back on, and I don't have to remember to go back to my tank and turn the filter on.

When the water evaporates throughout the day I want to pump some water to the tank to maintain salinity. This timer allows me to pump water up to it every hour for just a period of 10 seconds, so the pump isn't on unnecessarily for a whole minute (which is the shortest interval other times have). To make sure I don't pump too much water, I have a float valve in my sump. Topping off the water every hour minimizes fluctuations in salt concentration.

The timer set up is not intuitive, so you have to keep the manual handy, which has pretty clear instructions.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like it can do exactly what you want

Review on amazon
koreanbane
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Reviewed in the United States on January 31, 2020
So many features, and cheap too
This is a great timer, I use it for a lot of different applications in my saltwater aquarium. Sometimes I want to turn off my tank filter for 30 minutes so my corals can feed on the powdered food I give them, and don't want the food to be sucked into the filter. For that I push 3 buttons on this timer, and 30 minutes later my filter turns back on, and I don't have to remember to go back to my tank and turn the filter on.

When the water evaporates throughout the day I want to pump some water to the tank to maintain salinity. This timer allows me to pump water up to it every hour for just a period of 10 seconds, so the pump isn't on unnecessarily for a whole minute (which is the shortest interval other times have). To make sure I don't pump too much water, I have a float valve in my sump. Topping off the water every hour minimizes fluctuations in salt concentration.

The timer set up is not intuitive, so you have to keep the manual handy, which has pretty clear instructions.

Oh wow!! Thank you so much!! This seems to be exactly what I need! It even mentions you don't have to remember to turn things back on... LOL. That is me! Haha. I'll be putting this through checkout right away.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back