Timing of water change and water testing

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've got a routine down where i have a couple of hours to mess with my tank on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Should i change my water (10-20%) then test or test then change?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally skip testing for a day or two after water changes, I have found testing before water changes gives me a more realistic view of my actual numbers... if I’m trying to correct an problem I may check before and immediately after changes.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to test after the WC to see if anything jumps such as alk. Or to see if nitrates or phosphates dropped. To be honest I don’t test often anymore. In my experience, 10-20% water change didn’t really move the needle much at all. But each tank and salt is different. I do recommend playing around with testing until you get comfortable. At a certain point you kind of know what to expect with the absence of WC and parameters before and after.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always test after a water change simply so I know things are still stable and if not I can I can safely say it was something to do with the salt as my params are the same as my salt mix

Andy429

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home testing for Alk is done every day and other home tests are done prior to water change so I see the worst case. Water changes don’t seem to affect mag, calc etc that much and they are dosed balanced with alk anyway to alk paints the picture. ICPs are always done prior to a water change.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually test just prior to a water change and then about 24 hours after the change. Then back to my regular schedule which is every three days. Tank is six months old and I’m still adding fish and coral so I like to make sure I’m not disturbing parameters.

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test prior to WC. That way I can make any adjustments as needed.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done enough water changes to know the effect, so I test before I water change.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't specifically test on water change day. All my tests are spread throughout the month so I'm doing nitrate, phosphate and alk twice a week on different days, cal once a week and mag once a month.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test the same bat time, same bat day, 1 day after the change

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back