Tinkers Butterfly - Reef Safe??

  • Thread starter Thread starter benihana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

benihana

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
237
Reaction score
3
Location
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a stunning fish, and would love to add it to my fish list for my 300 build, but have a few questions first. Does anyone have this fish in their reef? If so, how does it do? Does it pick at your corals? Which Ones? What are those that have them doing to keep them from picking at corals?
 
If you are still in the market for a Tinker. I had a Tinker in my reef for a few months with no devastating effects. He did pick here and there. I believe it all depends on the fish. It is a beautiful fish. Unfortunitly I lost my Tinker to a tank crash.
 
I've only seen 1 in a reef tank...it did pick at zoas....but not LPS...the person didnt have any sps so I don't knowmifmit would have picked those too...he had it for about 3 years before getting rid of 1/2 of his fish ...
 
Butterfly's.......................always with caution.
You got price winning corals I won't take a chance.
If you got a little of everything go a head, just make sure the Tinker is eating all the food you give him.
Keep it in a QT for a while till it eat the food you feed you fish in your DT now.
Good luck.
And keep us posted on this.
 
I am still in the planning stages of my tank build, and trying to get a complete list of fish, so this guy won't be added for quite some time (2+ years)

Would still love to hear from others who have (or had) them
 
I have a declivis butterfly which is similar to the tinker and no issues with mine...I would like to get a tinker one day, but they are pricey...since the tinker is a deep water fish,
I would get from a reputable source, as acclimation and handling is critical....if you see any red streaks in it, then pass..it means it has internal hemorrhaging and was brought up too fast...(sorta like the BENDS when you scuba dive)
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new