Tiny black dots coming off chalice when dipping

jlieber516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I recently set up a frag system and am trying to be very thorough about quarantining everything I introduce. A few months ago I purchased a chalice coral that has now been in quarantine for 60 days. Overall the coral appears to be in good health and has even grown a bit; however, every time I dip the coral I notice a few black specks fall off. After the most recent dip I collected one of the black specks to observe under a microscope and after inspection, I haven’t the faintest idea as to what I am looking at. I was wondering if anyone may be familiar with what is circled in the image below?

4283E636-7935-4EDB-B5D2-1F637FE4EBFD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Black specks are too small to be picked up by a cell phone camera- they are a bit larger than a grain of sand
Are they moving ? If not may be sand

OP
OP
J

jlieber516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they moving ? If not may be sand
Not moving. However, based off the microscope image it is green and appears to have a membrane or is at least gelatinous, so it’s not likely sand. If you look closely with the microscope (probably not going to see with the image I provided), you can see what almost look like organelles within the object. I think it is some type of organism- Completely perplexed as to what though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back