Tiny mysis. Who has something like this?

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to me the Holy Grail of copepods are shown in the video below. I had mysis like this in my reef until I treated with Interceptor, and have been on a search to replace them ever since. My tank does have a healthy population of the pods sold commercially by AlgaeBarn and others, but no one sells (at least no one I have found) a tiny variety like that seen in the video. Several aquariums around the world have identified such mysis in their systems and declared them to be a new species including the recently named heteromysis hornimani from London and heteromysis domusmaris from Vienna. They describe the domusmaris species as 3-4 mm max and always swimming in a figure 8 pattern. That was exactly what I had in my aquarium for years. Now I see a few folks posting online that they have something similar in their refugiums.

Anyone got these or something similar in their reef?

Just curious :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lots of free food !

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time i look closely at the refugia in my system there are some small mysis, though not as many as in your video.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. Did you ever have to treat for Red Bugs in your systems? 'Cuz if you did that gives me hope that I can still get some mysis back in my system as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back