Tiny refugium... making it up as I go!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
086811B2-7424-450B-BB34-B59697E11A2F.jpeg
I have a Somatic 60 sump and skimmer under my 60 cube. It has no refugium. Replacing it with another sump isn’t possible because I would have to move the tank to put a new sump through the back. So I’ve been thinking of alternatives. I’ve decided on attaching an isolation/breeder container to the inside of my sump and filling it with chaeto and putting a light over it. I think it should work. What do y’all think? Here’s the box....

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an algae scrubber would benefit you more? Any bit of nitrate export is better than nothing but not sure the size of that refugium will hold enough chaeto to make a big difference.

Others may have different opinions.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an algae scrubber would benefit you more? Any bit of nitrate export is better than nothing but not sure the size of that refugium will hold enough chaeto to make a big difference.

Others may have different opinions.
I thought of that, but I don’t have a place to put it. As for the size, I’ll take anything I can get as I have few options. I’m hoping I can get a good pod population going too. Any other suggestions?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your way of thinking BestMomEver. I've enjoyed making remote fuges ranging from 5g gravity feeds to 14g BioCubes remotely gravity fed and others such as the CPR's and many others.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.

As mentioned above I'm still considering an algae scrubber but just have never done so. I've researched them and I'm confused on which one to purchase or maybe just do a DIY A.S.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your way of thinking. I've enjoyed making remote fuges ranging from 5g gravity feeds to 14g BioCubes remotely gravity fed and others such as the CPR's and many others.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.

As mentioned above I'm still considering an algae scrubber but just have never done so. I've researched them and I'm confused on which one to purchase or maybe just do a DIY A.S.
If you come up with a space saving DIY algae scrubber, please post it. I got a pen and paper the other day and tried to sketch something but couldn’t figure out how to do it. There’s no space under my tank for anything outside the sump. It has to go inside. The entire area available is 13x18 and that already has a skimmer and return pump. I’ll post pictures in a few. The other section is where the filter sock is.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you come up with a space saving DIY algae scrubber, please post it. I got a pen and paper the other day and tried to sketch something but couldn’t figure out how to do it. There’s no space under my tank for anything outside the sump. It has to go inside. The entire area available is 13x18 and that already has a skimmer and return pump. I’ll post pictures in a few. The other section is where the filter sock is.

I do know that some companies make a drop in unit, but I'm leery about them although they should be okay.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get into my photo bucket. I have ~5,000 pics and I'd like to show some of my older remote fuge ideas but PB is so hard to deal with now.

BestMomEver this is a custom 45 cube I built along with a DIY 30g sump which I hung a large CPR unit on the side of the sump which worked really good.

11694842_10207142789510890_6379318165162637093_n.jpg

11751776_10207140813901501_8519843356871958565_n.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BestMomEver

What do you want your refugium to do? I assume you are thinking of growing pods to feed your tank live food, so that would be nutrient recycling. You do not need a lighted refugium to grow pods. I have had numerous canister filters with pods in it.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of an algae scrubber, install a chaeto reactor and wrap the clear canister with white led lights.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mbr127-microalgae-reactor-skimz.html

This is the Cadillac price where diy can easily be done.
Saw that.... very expensive. I could take a plain old reactor and put stuff in, wrap it in lights, attach a pump and let it go. I considered it. If this doesn’t work, that will be my next try. The isolation tank thingy cost me $30 and I already have a light. It was the cheapest way I know how to do it. If i have to find another way, I haven’t lost anything.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BestMomEver

What do you want your refugium to do? I assume you are thinking of growing pods to feed your tank live food, so that would be nutrient recycling. You do not need a lighted refugium to grow pods. I have had numerous canister filters with pods in it.
True... but I already have a Fluval Sea strip light so I might as well use it. I want pods and nutrient export. My only concern is that the box I bought has big enough holes that chaeto can slip through and go all over the place. Thinking of calerpa but I’m not sure. We used calerpa in our refugium for the 500 and never had problems with it reproducing and getting everywhere. I like the stuff that has the little berry looking things on it. Does anyone know what variety it is?

Also have considered a canister filter. How do you set it up? I guess you could just put love rock rubble in it. Is that how you’ve done it?

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get into my photo bucket. I have ~5,000 pics and I'd like to show some of my older remote fuge ideas but PB is so hard to deal with now.

BestMomEver this is a custom 45 cube I built along with a DIY 30g sump which I hung a large CPR unit on the side of the sump which worked really good.

That’s waaaaaay cool! Wish I had the space. Hubby has a 16 cube and wants mangroves. I told him to set up a little 5 gallon tank (we have 3!) and join them together.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw that.... very expensive. I could take a plain old reactor and put stuff in, wrap it in lights, attach a pump and let it go. I considered it. If this doesn’t work, that will be my next try. The isolation tank thingy cost me $30 and I already have a light. It was the cheapest way I know how to do it. If i have to find another way, I haven’t lost anything.

Not all macro is equal. I suggest you use Chaetomorphy. Understand this about photosynthesis with both macro & coral, the byproduct of photosynthesis is dissolved organic carbon which grows bacteria. I suggest you use GAC to remove DOC. While macro uses nitrogen & phosphorous in the ration of 30:1 all photosynthetic organisms need carbon. All algae, which includes macro algae & coral zooanthelia, use carbon dioxide as their favorite source of carbon. When macro grows, it needs other nutrients which often are the limiting factor that inhibits growth, iron is a good thing to dose, everybody needs iron.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love your mangroves, not to deviate from the theme of this thread... I'm thinking of setting up a mangrove tank and you seem to have some great growth, would you mind weighing in on a thread a created about mangroves?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/m...stocking-questions.466530/page-3#post-5188913

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all macro is equal. I suggest you use Chaetomorphy. Understand this about photosynthesis with both macro & coral, the byproduct of photosynthesis is dissolved organic carbon which grows bacteria. I suggest you use GAC to remove DOC. While macro uses nitrogen & phosphorous in the ration of 30:1 all photosynthetic organisms need carbon. All algae, which includes macro algae & coral zooanthelia, use carbon dioxide as their favorite source of carbon. When macro grows, it needs other nutrients which often are the limiting factor that inhibits growth, iron is a good thing to dose, everybody needs iron.
Ok... let me understand...if all photosynthetic things need carbon, then why remove it? Are you saying we shouldn’t put activated carbon in our tanks? Also, I have a CO2 scrubber because I couldn’t get my pH above 7.5 or so. With the scrubber, the pH hangs at about 8.3. I assumed that one of the things that was keeping my corals from growing was the low pH. Are you suggesting that I should take the scrubber off?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... let me understand...if all photosynthetic things need carbon, then why remove it? Are you saying we shouldn’t put activated carbon in our tanks? Also, I have a CO2 scrubber because I couldn’t get my pH above 7.5 or so. With the scrubber, the pH hangs at about 8.3. I assumed that one of the things that was keeping my corals from growing was the low pH. Are you suggesting that I should take the scrubber off?

Organic carbon grows bacteria. Inorganic carbon dioxide grows coral and macro. They are worlds apart.

I don’t know enough about your system to comment on why your coral is not growing. There are numerous possibilities. I found numerous threads that you posted, but I did not see a tank journal. Information pertinent to your system in one place allows informed comments.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. I don’t have a build thread. By the time I found this site, the tank was done. I did post recently about my Triton test here...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/triton-questions.465103/

These results are less than a week old. The pH is measured by a Seneye Reef par meter (with pH). The tank is lit by a Radion x15 gen 4 on the AB+ setting. Ammonia and nitrites = 0 as of this morning.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True... but I already have a Fluval Sea strip light so I might as well use it. I want pods and nutrient export. My only concern is that the box I bought has big enough holes that chaeto can slip through and go all over the place. Thinking of calerpa but I’m not sure. We used calerpa in our refugium for the 500 and never had problems with it reproducing and getting everywhere. I like the stuff that has the little berry looking things on it. Does anyone know what variety it is?

Also have considered a canister filter. How do you set it up? I guess you could just put love rock rubble in it. Is that how you’ve done it?

With three tray canister, I put filter floss first, to be replaced weekly, then I used Crushed coral rubble and the last tray was reserved for GAC. Pods were everywhere.

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookgreenalgae.htm

Three differrent green grapes.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
Organic carbon grows bacteria. Inorganic carbon dioxide grows coral and macro. They are worlds apart.

I don’t know enough about your system to comment on why your coral is not growing. There are numerous possibilities. I found numerous threads that you posted, but I did not see a tank journal. Information pertinent to your system in one place allows informed comments.
So... as per carbon... activated carbon is OK. What about the CO2 scrubber? Since I put it on, the pH is great and corals are beginning to color up better. Some corals (stylophora and pocillopora the most) are growing better but for the length of time they’ve all been in there, the growth is not what it should be. I have sticks I bought 6 months ago that have shown very little growth, if any. It’s like they’re maintaining but not flourishing. One of the things the Triton test showed was high lead. I’m not sure where it’s coming from, but I’m in the process of testing RO/DI water and saltwater from the LFSs that I buy from. It’s the expensive way to do it, but I have thousands invested in this tank.... it’s a small price to pay. Heck, each stick was at least $30. Some came from WWC and JF. They were way more! The LFSs I buy RO have PVC pipes inside but the pipes into the buildings are old. Might be lead there. RO/DI is supposed to get rid of iron and other metals but testing will show who’s changing their membranes. They all know I’m testing their water. They’re eager for the results too. Other than that, I don’t know where to go next.

I have increased my parts A and B and magnesium. Hopefully that’ll fix that issue.

Back