Tiny reminder to stick to QT protocols if you do it

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I wanted to say how awesome this website has been as a resource for information. Definitely makes reefing more enjoyable when you know what you’re doing.

Patience is so key in this hobby. My first couple of months in, I was eager to add anything. Eventually I lost most of my fish to a velvet breakout. So I now follow the 76 day rule for everything wet going into my tank now. System is clean and I’m so grateful. But, I’ll be honest, the 76 days can feel like an eternity at times. My wife often reminds me to not get impatient with adding new corals or fish so I don’t risk resetting my sterile system. ;)

I’m diligent with my corals but I’m learning to cover all the bases with fish additions too. Recently got a yellow fin flasher wrasse. Used TTM to quarantine, and monitored for 2 weeks to see if any signs of velvet, etc. Fish looked good and I added him. Unfortunately I didn’t treat for internal parasites, and it died randomly. Despite heavy feelings and healthy appetite, he perished.

Even more recently my tank grew dinos and I was struggling to naturally get my nitrates up. Heavy feeding wasn’t doing it, so I decided to add a royal gramma to the crew. He looked healthy when I got him, but I prophylactically treated with copper for 14 days to be safe before moving him to a sterile new tank to monitor. Before the move I did a freshwater dip to find one large fluke on him. Of all my fish, I’ve only had to dip once to remove flukes, so I didn’t think much of it.

A couple days in, ammonia starts to spike because the new QT isn’t cycled. I dose prime to help buy time, but seriously considered adding him to the display prematurely. Good thing I didn’t! Today, on day 5 of being in a sterile tank, he exploded with a whopping fluke infestation in numbers I couldn’t count. Eggs hatched and he was completely covered with baby flukes. To make it more challenging, he jumped out of his fw treatment bin to hit the floor off the counter. After treatment he was super disoriented swimming for the surface. I was afraid he might have died behind my hob filter, so I raise the filter and he jumps out of the water just as I lower the filter down, jamming his head between the filter and tank lip. Took a slough of scales off. At this point I’m stressed, thinking how I balance the ammonia, flukes, and now physical damage. I run to the pet store to get API QuickStart, make new saltwater and add a rock to help alleviate the ammonia issue. I expect bacterial infection from injury so will treat that first in the next few days with medication hoping it won’t kill the good bacteria I just added. Then will finish up with prazi to kill any leftover worms. What a tough QT this time...

Lesson learned: gotta be patient with quarantine, even though it takes time. And, keep extra supplies around for emergency situations.

eslatts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been exactly my life for the past couple months, first it was velvet, wiped out my whole QT tank. Purchased three 20g tanks to split up fish to not have all my eggs in one basket.. lesson learned. Did a week to a week and a half of observation before putting in DT. Apparently not enough, ich in DT from observed fish that did not show signs. Guess I'll prophylactically treat from now on.. Iesson learned again.

Running hypo in DT as I cannot QT 12 fish. During hypo one fatality due to internal parasites, tried metroplex feeding to no avail. Another two on the ropes with external bacteria infections. Currently treating them in a 5 gal pale w/ airstone, kanaplex dosed to water column.

If it aint one thing, it's the other... Lol

Last edited:

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah going fallow in the display is honestly the worst thing you have to go through and trying to keep your fish healthy outside of the tank for months - I have had to restart twice and I’m refusing to do it again.

I quarantine all corals and inverts for 45 days (as per humblefish’s advice) and all fish go through a prophylactic prazi treatment and TTM - so far 100% success rate but you have to be diligent and patient.

My philosophy is that the livestock in my display tank is my top priority and everything I do is to protect them. If I lose stock in quarantine then I’m comfortable knowing that it won’t effect the livestock that’s made it to the display

it’s hard putting them through a jail sentence before going into the display but it’s a necessary evil - plus you get the fun twice - bringing it home and placing into QT then finally getting to put it into the display!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back