Tiny skippers!! Share your experience with barnacle blennies!

Do you keep barnacle blennies?

• Yep! I have some right now!

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • No, but I'd like to try them at some point.

Votes: 196 57.0%
  • No, but I did in the past, and I'd definitely do it again.

Votes: 36 10.5%
  • Nope! Nor would I (or not again)!

Votes: 76 22.1%

• Total voters

BMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2131FF75-9FB6-4648-8E24-76096F20CBCE.jpeg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the Panamic Barnacale Blennies twice, but they were relatively short lived for me (~6 months).

The Eyebrow Barnacle Blennies have been much longer lived and have been a great addition to my 12g nano (they don't need a large tank to thrive).

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had mine for several years. They eat surprising large food. They are aggressive with each other always trying to steal each others holes.
I just take a drill and add drill appropriately size holes into the live rock.

upload_2018-2-21_12-29-26-png.680428

Purpletank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Daniel, I have 2 panamic barnacle blennies in my 56 gallon high nutrient reef. I have had them about 6 months and they are doing wonderfully.

They share the tank with 2 combtooth blennies, a venomous blenny, a blue gungeon dartfish, 2 pajama cardinals, and 2 green clown gobies. There are also shrimp, snails and crabs in the tank. Its a mixed reef with macro algae. I have tiered my rock and sand so that there are 3 levels and lots of hidey holes. I will post a video. You can see one of the barnacle blennies in the first 12 seconds. The orange spot blenny stops on the barnacle blennies's rock. The 2nd barnacle blenny is in a coco worm tube at the 1.09 second mark. I know of someone on RC who has his in a 180 gallon seagrass and macro algae tank. He doesn't have many other fish, just some damsels and acclimated mollies so far.

I live that you have macroalgae in your display. It looks so natural and I’m sure adds to the health of the tank.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say that looks a lot like a reef crest from a scuba divers point of view. Well done and it looks really fantastic.
Thank you very much saf1. That is the most complimentary comment I have ever received. My objective for this tank was to utilize its height, look as realistic to a natural reef as possible and to have lots of hidey holes for the blennies.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live that you have macroalgae in your display. It looks so natural and I’m sure adds to the health of the tank.
Thank you Purpletank. I love the vibrant green and red of macro algaes. I strive for a natural appearance of a reef and it does help with that as well. Also in this tank that does not have a sump but has 10 hungry fish who eat twice a day, it certainly helps with nutrient uptake.

Back