Tips for getting into SPS?

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Im looking to get into the SPS world currently and would love any possible tips / see if anything is out of whack for my current nutrients. I did try birds nest / stylo before, but those had a slow death of browning / turning white. Frankly I dont know what caused, as back then I did not test very much. Though I do now via hanna kits! My current set up is
Tank - 75g
Lights - 2 Kessil 360x (8 hour lights on, ramping up to 75% for an hour)
1 maxspect f350 gyre (would 2 be better?)
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Phosphate - 0.18 (working on lowering)
DKH - 8.5
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 78 F
I think that covers most everything thats important.. but please let me know if I miss anything important! Thanks!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Im looking to get into the SPS world currently and would love any possible tips / see if anything is out of whack for my current nutrients. I did try birds nest / stylo before, but those had a slow death of browning / turning white. Frankly I dont know what caused, as back then I did not test very much. Though I do now via hanna kits! My current set up is
Tank - 75g
Lights - 2 Kessil 360x (8 hour lights on, ramping up to 75% for an hour)
1 maxspect f350 gyre (would 2 be better?)
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Phosphate - 0.18 (working on lowering)
DKH - 8.5
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 78 F
I think that covers most everything thats important.. but please let me know if I miss anything important! Thanks!
Always best to begin with some simpler Zoas and LPS. Once these start growing in your aquarium you will have a much better chance with SPS.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always best to begin with some simpler Zoas and LPS. Once these start growing in your aquarium you will have a much better chance with SPS.
Sorry i should have clarified; I currently do have LPS! welso, scoly, hammers and frogspawn with the few leather here or there. all have been doing well for 6+ months. Though my acans can be a bit moody at times.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i should have clarified; I currently do have LPS! welso, scoly, hammers and frogspawn with the few leather here or there. all have been doing well for 6+ months. Though my acans can be a bit moody at times.
Great!

SPS love stable parameters, high flow, and high par.

Have you taken a par meter to your aquarium and found out the light levels at different points in your aquarium?

Here’s a pic of my Walt Disney at 600 par

1631810129847.jpeg

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would ad one more Gyre at a minimum. Suggest starting out with easier corals such as Monti's and go from there. As previously mentioned, IMO, it is all about stable water parameters, lighting and flow. Your 2 Kessils should be enough. If you feel that more is needed a couple of LED bars would probably do the trick.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time your sps's died? I think you did the right thing and I think you should do it again, get another cheap birds nest or green slimer frag and try again, unless they just recently died, then ya, you need to figure it out first.

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great!

SPS love stable parameters, high flow, and high par.

Have you taken a par meter to your aquarium and found out the light levels at different points in your aquarium?

Here’s a pic of my Walt Disney at 600 par

1631810129847.jpeg
I havent taken any par measurments since it is such a pricy tool! I know it would definetly be helpful if I did, to get a better understanding of everything for sure. and that looks lovely!

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time your sps's died? I think you did the right thing and I think you should do it again, get another cheap birds nest or green slimer frag and try again, unless they just recently died, then ya, you need to figure it out first.
Its been over 6 months since I tried those, I didnt want to keep tossing $ into it with no knowledge of why they were dying so focused on LPS. I would definetly do the same, a birds nest or Monti to start!

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would ad one more Gyre at a minimum. Suggest starting out with easier corals such as Monti's and go from there. As previously mentioned, IMO, it is all about stable water parameters, lighting and flow. Your 2 Kessils should be enough. If you feel that more is needed a couple of LED bars would probably do the trick.
Thanks for the input, since I know flow is a big part of keeping SPS successfully. I will be upgrading to waterbox frag in the year, and can always adjust the flow rate accordingly!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That phosphate level is fine. I'd leave it alone- trying to chase nutrients down is a good way to stress corals, and potentially get dinos if it goes too low.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the T5 suggestion unless you want to remain mixed reef with just a couple of SPS up high and directly under the Kessils.

What is your fish stock list and how much/how often do you feed what types of food?

How heavy are you exporting?

Are you seeing good Coraline growth?

I would wait until the tank is 1yr old if it hasn't reached that milestone yet.

Your params are within reason IMO unless they are swinging back and forth.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep your parameters stable, just do it. I started my tank with a pink birdnest, forest fire digi, mr. pacman acro, blueberry wine acro and wwc little red ferrari. Started with dry rock, only using 2x kessil 160we's on a 20 long tank. Pic of it now almost 6 months after starting it.
DSCF3061.JPG

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding T5 to your Kessils will help. Test your alkalinity on a regular basis and dose kalkwasser to maintain it.
I might in the future, ive looked into it in the past but currently have no ways of having hanging lights and I dont know if they have any types of arms or not. plus getting a new tank in a year anyways, will revisit the lights then! Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the T5 suggestion unless you want to remain mixed reef with just a couple of SPS up high and directly under the Kessils.

What is your fish stock list and how much/how often do you feed what types of food?

How heavy are you exporting?

Are you seeing good Coraline growth?

I would wait until the tank is 1yr old if it hasn't reached that milestone yet.

Your params are within reason IMO unless they are swinging back and forth.
-Currently have a single tang, coral beauty, clowns, & a goby. I feed frozen mysis soaked in selcon daily, with an algea sheet. Coral feed 1x every other day (red sea ab+)
- running a skimmer & cannister (clean weekly) and currently dosing NOPOX to keep nitrates in a range I like.
-yes, not a ton on the glass but on rocks / equipment
-currently at 10 months
I test weekly and no big swings, most my LPS and softs really dont use much of the DKH or calcium really!

OP
OP
B

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be said, Don't get too attached!

sps will be extremely unpredictable. If at any point they don't make it, don't be too hard on yourself. you are not alone believe me.
For sure, have learned that first hand since starting in this hobby haha

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, another thing; start with easy ones. Encrusting montiporas are relatively hardy IME, and birdsnests and stylos are supposed to be hardy as well. Leptoseris might be fun to grab, they have some really nice colors and are kinda underappreciated.

For the moody acan, try feeding it. They do best if fed at least once a week. They do also just kinda throw fits now and then, though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back