Tips for moving 40gal tank long distance?

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving long distance this summer. I would like to move my 40 gal FOWLR tank and sump. Current livestock in the tank are six fish, a long spine urchin, and assorted CUC (peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, hermit crabs, and snails). I've been reading other posts regarding moving tips -- lots of buckets for livestock and rock (in separate buckets), aeration for the buckets, save the tank water, have a Rubbermaid container ready to act as a temporary tank, etc., but have a few questions that I haven't located answers for yet.

-- The tank, rock, livestock and water will be in my air conditioned vehicle during the day. At overnight stops, how much needs to be transferred from the car to a hotel room? I know the livestock is a definite yes to move to the hotel room. I'm assuming possibly also the rock, given the beneficial bacteria and likely random CUC that will be present in the bucket. What about the old tank water? Is it safe to keep in what will become a very hot vehicle, or does it need constant climate control too?

-- The tank has a 1 to 2 inch deep sandbed. Should I move the sand or buy new sand at the other end? If I move the sand, should I dry it out or move it wet? If the sand needs to stay wet, does it need aeration and/or climate control?

-- Any tips on preparing the empty tank for transport? I'd like to be able to breakdown my tank a few days before the movers arrive, temporarily place the livestock and rocks into a Rubbermaid tote with a filter, and get the opportunity to clean the tank well before I have to put it in the back of my vehicle. When I originally obtained the tank, I moved it from its old home to my residence (about a 40 minute drive) and recall the distinct aroma emanating from the tank during the move. I assume the aroma was from algae that are used to being under water being rudely exposed to the open air by the newbie caretaker.

-- Any special considerations to move a long spined urchin? I hesitate to put him in the 5 gal bucket with the fish, as I have visions of fish shish-kabob happening during the trip. I also assume putting him or any visible CUC into a bucket with the rock would be a potential disaster if the rock shifts during the move. Any negative aspects if I put the urchin and CUC into a stand alone bucket with aeration?

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd toss the sand or rinse it well and take it with you as dry sand, trying to keep it alive the whole trip just isn't worth it.

The urchin and all other cuc can go in the same container, they live together already so shouldn't be a problem. If you can wedge rocks on the bottom of the container it's a plus, that way they can hide and have snacks. Just ensure they can't move around.

Live rock (sounds like a multi-day trip) you'll have to treat as live stock, too hot/cold will kill the bacteria.

All in you're looking at 3 life buckets

Rock
Cuc
Fish(if many fish do 2)

Youll want to keep temp fluctuations low, you could buy a car adaptor to power an air pump and run it to all buckets from one pump. Also don't blast your AC too low unless you plan to heat the water the whole time.

Transporting old water is tricky. If you want to take all the water with you you'll have to keep airated or atleast moving else the bacteria and algae in the water will die and fowl it. Best to toss it and mix up new water at destination.

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a few 20+ hour moves, and the way that I've done it is a small powerhead and a 50W heater in a bucket with fish, one rock(in a stable corner to provide a hiding place) and CUC all in the same bucket. I did it with 5 fish in a 5 gallon bucket, more fish may need more buckets. I had one of the car AC adapters and didn't have any issues. In your case I think CUC and urchin in one bucket, and fish in another is a good plan.

For hotels, you can typically just carry it in or if you have more than one you can use a luggage cart, plug in once in the room. The next day, I don't do anything except put it back in the car securely and plug it all back in.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd toss the sand or rinse it well and take it with you as dry sand, trying to keep it alive the whole trip just isn't worth it.

The urchin and all other cuc can go in the same container, they live together already so shouldn't be a problem. If you can wedge rocks on the bottom of the container it's a plus, that way they can hide and have snacks. Just ensure they can't move around.

Live rock (sounds like a multi-day trip) you'll have to treat as live stock, too hot/cold will kill the bacteria.

All in you're looking at 3 life buckets

Rock
Cuc
Fish(if many fish do 2)

Youll want to keep temp fluctuations low, you could buy a car adaptor to power an air pump and run it to all buckets from one pump. Also don't blast your AC too low unless you plan to heat the water the whole time.

Transporting old water is tricky. If you want to take all the water with you you'll have to keep airated or atleast moving else the bacteria and algae in the water will die and fowl it. Best to toss it and mix up new water at destination.
Thanks for the tips. Not having to transport all of the old water would definitely save some space (and reduce the number of trips when unloading the car). I'll look at just taking a container full of it to cover any emergencies (it can also hold the macro algae) and let the rest go and use new saltwater to fill up the rest of the tank at the end of the trip.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a few 20+ hour moves, and the way that I've done it is a small powerhead and a 50W heater in a bucket with fish, one rock(in a stable corner to provide a hiding place) and CUC all in the same bucket. I did it with 5 fish in a 5 gallon bucket, more fish may need more buckets. I had one of the car AC adapters and didn't have any issues. In your case I think CUC and urchin in one bucket, and fish in another is a good plan.

For hotels, you can typically just carry it in or if you have more than one you can use a luggage cart, plug in once in the room. The next day, I don't do anything except put it back in the car securely and plug it all back in.
I was debating a heater. I have a few, but I was more worried about the livestock getting too hot versus too cold given the summer timeframe of the move. I'll plum another hole in the buckets for a heater cord and drop them in.

A powerhead is something I hadn't considered, but will definitely add if my car converter will handle it. If not, I'll use them in the buckets at night in the hotel rooms.

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating a heater. I have a few, but I was more worried about the livestock getting too hot versus too cold given the summer timeframe of the move. I'll plum another hole in the buckets for a heater cord and drop them in.

A powerhead is something I hadn't considered, but will definitely add if my car converter will handle it. If not, I'll use them in the buckets at night in the hotel rooms.

If you do a heater I'd probably only do a 25-50W one, you shouldn't need much. But a heater will help in the hotel room overnight or if you (like me) run the AC in the car at 60F. On the powerhead you probably just want to make sure that it's a low GPH so you aren't blowing fish around too much with it.

OP
OP
S

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the tank a month ago, and so far, things appear to have gone well. I lost a hermit crab during the move, but the fish, gorgonia, and remaining CUC seem to be doing well in the new location. Thank you for all of the advice and tips when I was planning the move!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back