Tips for moving nano tank?

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 13.5 gallon and will soon be moving 3 hours away. I don't have any corals yet so that will make it a little easier, but I have 2 small fish. I plan on putting the majority of rock and all the filter media in 5 gallon buckets and will put the fish in Tupperware containers. I am hoping to keep the base of the rocks in the tank while I move because I plan to get a pistol shrimp soon and would like to keep the rocks on the glass not on the sand bed. When I get there, my first priority is the fish obviously. So will they be okay for 3+ hours while I set their tank back up and let it get back to temperature? Will moving all the rock and filter media cause a significant amount of die off in the bacteria population? Should I be keeping a close eye on ammonia levels after the move?
Any tips on moving long distances would be greatly appreciated :D

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 Gallon tank. You should have about 6-8 actual gallons of water depending on your rocks and sand. Your plan isn't bad. I would get a 5 gal container and keep some original water (so you only temp acclimate the fish). The 3 hour drive shouldn't really be a concern. Low tidde last longer than three hours. I would add some prime just to be sure. Less headache during move. A small insulated box should be more than enough for the fishes though. Bag them and store them there. In my opinion though, with only two fishes, I would do a reset instead. Have you sourced out a nearby LFS when you get to your destination? How are you going to make up for the water loss?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back