Tips for new reefers no one tells your about

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that is just getting into reefing so i've thought about some things that he should be aware of. I wanted to put all of this into a thread and maybe help some reefers who arent new but dont have years of experience. There are lots of threads that give advice to people just starting but i've seen things happen that no one prepared me for. What are some tips that people didnt give you that you have experienced?

Simple things like if the power goes out and you overflow your sump if there is to much water

Or make sure your overflow doesnt get clogged from coraline agae and flood the living room.

Or make sure your top off return is secure in your sump or you will flood the living room

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flood my laundry room at least once a month.

So maybe always set a timer when making ro/di

Never dump water from lfs into tank if it can be avoided.

Always ask if they are treating with copper when buying a fish. If you dump that water into tank coral get *****.

OP
OP
Reefjnky

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flood my laundry room at least once a month.

So maybe always set a timer when making ro/di

Never dump water from lfs into tank if it can be avoided.

Always ask if they are treating with copper when buying a fish. If you dump that water into tank coral get *****.
Good points. I forgot about the ro/di. I flooded my kitchen several times but now keep it in the tub so it contains the flood...you dont realize how fast the water comes out of the ro/di until it falls out of the bucket

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have at very least a spare heater and return pump,some rodi and saltwater made up at all times so can if needed keep system heated and water pumping around at all times and got salt water to do wc if needed plus some more rodi ready to make more saltwater if need more ( dont keep the rodi or saltwater forever just waiting until needed,do stock rotation kind of thing always using oldest first then make more for the next wc/ possible emergency wc.
Any important articles and method of eradication on certain dieseses/pests save these or screenshot/ take pictures etc as when you got to spring into action and do something quick,last thing you want is spend hours researching what to do

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back