Tips for owning a Blue Dot Jawfish

jamchi16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I just picked up Blue Dot Jawfish (BDJ) and I was just wondering if there was anyone whose kept these guys who had any tips.

I am aware that these guys do like colder temperatures, but I also keep coral (LPS and softies) in the tank, I figured I could gradually drop the temp down to 75 over the next 2 weeks and that could be a good median between the corals in the BDJ?

Also LiveAquaria suggests feeding them 3 times a day. Is this necessary? It seems excessive.

I also have made sure to secure my lid and give him plenty of substrate around his den to mess around with (between 4-5 inches) although some places suggest 8+ inches of substrate, but do I really need that much?

I am also aware that they don't tend to do as well in captivity, but I made the mistake of purchasing and then researching (drawbacks of being an impulsive buyer) and I wanna do my best to care for this guy.

But yeah if anyone has any tips for a new BDJ keeper, I'm all ears!

OP
OP
jamchi16

jamchi16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a quick makeshift den out of a small Slurpee or sundae lid by coating the outside, edges and rims with glue and then adding substrate, small rocks, etc. They seem to really like those for whatever reason.
That's a good idea! I have a small piece of PVC I grabbed back when I dreamed of getting a mantis, maybe I could try to fit that somewhere...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea! I have a small piece of PVC I grabbed back when I dreamed of getting a mantis, maybe I could try to fit that somewhere...
There's something to the smaller hole in the top and the some shape that seems to relax them. I've even seen anthias and other fish you wouldn't think of enjoying the "den" with only their heads sticking out,

OP
OP
jamchi16

jamchi16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's something to the smaller hole in the top and the some shape that seems to relax them. I've even seen anthias and other fish you wouldn't think of enjoying the "den" with only their heads sticking out,
Ohhhh, I see what you mean by a slurpee lid now and having an opening narrower than a whole pvc pipe (visualized it backwards in my brain at first lol)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jawfish goes in top, takes up residence - enjoys sticking head out. Coated rims and sides give it a natural look (and smooth out any sharp edges).

7DCD569B-185E-4B57-86CE-AAAAE8655DC2.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s often recommended to have 8+ inches of sand for the Jawfish however IMHO they love anywhere between 4 and 7 inches of sand. You’ll also find that most if not all coral that snaps off (Especially fragile SPS) I will become part of his burrow at some point.
I usually keep most cold water fish at 75 degrees and they love it. As for coral, I think that’s just in the range to grow them, although they may have a slower growth rate than coral in warmer water.
All jawfish love having a larger inner cave system and a smaller hole to peer out of.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a yellow head jawfish, got him 3 months ago, its now my favorite fish. Its a people watcher, it will sit in its hole and bob up and down watching you all day. It doesnt hide from my anymore, just watches me walk back and forth, straining to see where I'm going, funny fish.

Like mentioned above, it needs sand, my tank has 5 inch sandbed. Dont overstock the tank, its a super shy fish, if the tank is overstocked or if it has aggressive fish, you may never see it. If it feels any stress it will jump the tank, so keep a cover on at night until it gets comfortable in your tank.

My yellow head comes from further south so it likes warmer water, but your is from more north so it likes colder water, so keep that in mind. The temperature is the main reason I chose the yellow head, although the blue dot is nicer IMO, but I guess it doesnt matter, it only bobs its head and rarely leaves its hole. Good luck.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will also jump just for the fun of it. I went through a Red Jawfish and a Yellow Head Jawfish. Both in the same tank with 3 inch of sandbed (I think it was 5 as it got further to the back) both times they jumped for no reason. Other fish in that tank were a Possum Wrasse and a Yasha Goby, nothing else if I recall correctly (This was 2 years ago).

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lid on top of the aquarium of some sort. They are for sure jumpers. I’ve had two in my day and both ended up diein from jumping. But My local fish store has had one forever without one jumping.

OP
OP
jamchi16

jamchi16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the advice and tips! I've got a mesh lid that I keep on there 24/7 with holes that are 1/2" by 1/2" so I don't think he'll be able to jump out. While I love how he watches me whenever I walk in front of the tank and isn't afraid to make eye contact, it is a little unsettling the fact that anytime I am in that room I know he's watching me lol.
Being new to this forum, I really appreciate all the help and the welcoming atmosphere!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the advice and tips! I've got a mesh lid that I keep on there 24/7 with holes that are 1/2" by 1/2" so I don't think he'll be able to jump out. While I love how he watches me whenever I walk in front of the tank and isn't afraid to make eye contact, it is a little unsettling the fact that anytime I am in that room I know he's watching me lol.

Not that it matters but I am brand new to this forum and I really appreciate all the help and the welcoming atmosphere !
Welcome to the forum!
I loved my yellow head jawfish but now I’m heading into an SPS heavy tank I don’t think I’ll get one for my nano as I refuse to constantly blow sand off of coral. As for the impulse buy that you mentioned this was, the good thing is you did say that it was an impulse buy but the other thing is, nobody can say they haven’t bought a fish that they like and not researched it. I did this with a flashing tilefish, it was a beautiful fish and size but I didn’t do research until after reserving it (Even then there’s almost no information out there on them).
Hope it all works out for you though!
This is what I say to fish that look nice but I have an issue with.
“It looks nice… in that tank but not in mine”

OP
OP
jamchi16

jamchi16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
I loved my yellow head jawfish but now I’m heading into an SPS heavy tank I don’t think I’ll get one for my nano as I refuse to constantly blow sand off of coral. As for the impulse buy that you mentioned this was, the good thing is you did say that it was an impulse buy but the other thing is, nobody can say they haven’t bought a fish that they like and not researched it. I did this with a flashing tilefish, it was a beautiful fish and size but I didn’t do research until after reserving it (Even then there’s almost no information out there on them).
Hope it all works out for you though!
This is what I say to fish that look nice but I have an issue with.
“It looks nice… in that tank but not in mine”
ooooh yeah, but those guys are gorgeous, can't blame someone for reserving one of those,
But yeah definitely learned my lesson with this one, will not buy a fish without researching it first lol.

Good luck with your SPS setup!
Hope my new BDJF works out as well

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooooh yeah, but those guys are gorgeous, can't blame someone for reserving one of those,
But yeah definitely learned my lesson with this one, will not buy a fish without researching it first lol.

Good luck with your SPS setup!
Hope my new BDJF works out as well
I’ve just remembered my Profile Picture is actually my old Flashing Tile, unfortunately he died last March however, I now have experience with this species (5 months worth of experience with this species and several years of experience with other hard to own species) so will definitely look for another. I’ve passed on 7 sweet tiles already in hopes to find another.

But hey, if you have experience with fish that you know are hard to feed or are hard in some way then once you have gained a technique that works for you I would say you can own more than you assume. Not saying Impulsive buying is a good thing to do but I have had Atleast 3-4 impulse buys out of my 18/19 fish I currently own and it’s gone well for now.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What many people don’t realize is that they’re sold as tropical marine fish, but actually require cooler water temperatures than the average reef tank because their habitat is in the subtropical / borderline temperate zone of the Sea of Cortez. That means temperatures in the high 70s / low 80s will make them prone to shorter lives.
However, a Chinese friend of mine has been waiting for a while to get his hands on some broodstock so he can try breeding them and the captive bred offspring should be able to handle regular reef temperatures.

OP
OP
jamchi16

jamchi16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What many people don’t realize is that they’re sold as tropical marine fish, but actually require cooler water temperatures than the average reef tank because their habitat is in the subtropical / borderline temperate zone of the Sea of Cortez. That means temperatures in the high 70s / low 80s will make them prone to shorter lives.
However, a Chinese friend of mine has been waiting for a while to get his hands on some broodstock so he can try breeding them and the captive bred offspring should be able to handle regular reef temperatures.
If he ever successfully raises some captive bred let me know!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will! So far he has raised in commercial quantities: Orchid Dottybacks, Sunrise Dottybacks, Neon Dottybacks (newer), Pajama Cardinals, Bangaii Cardinals, Fiji Blue Devils and Ocellaris Clowns. He’s trying to raise more Neon and Yellow Cleaner Gobies.

He hasn’t succeeded, but is working on: Starcki Damsels, Candy Basslets, some kind of Fang Blenny, Helfrichi Firefish, and True Percs.

He plans to rear Blotchy Anthias, along with both the Yellowhead and Blue Spotted Jawfish, Aiptasia Eating Filefish, Lantern Basslets, Anglers / Frogfish, some more Gobies and I think that’s it.

No guarantees that all of these will succeed, but I really hope as many as possible.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back