Tips for removing SPS from live rock

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some decently large healthy stylo colonies that are encrusted onto live rock. Planning a tank upgrade down the road but with new rock. Is it safe to use a saw and cut the colony off at the base? Ideally I would cut the encrusted base, but if I cut above, I’m wondering if the coral could encrust again. The only issue I can think of is that the base does not receive that much light so the polyps are much lighter in color so I worry it would jeopardize the colony. The alternative would be to frag into pieces and start from a frag again. :(.

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some decently large healthy stylo colonies that are encrusted onto live rock. Planning a tank upgrade down the road but with new rock. Is it safe to use a saw and cut the colony off at the base? Ideally I would cut the encrusted base, but if I cut above, I’m wondering if the coral could encrust again. The only issue I can think of is that the base does not receive that much light so the polyps are much lighter in color so I worry it would jeopardize the colony. The alternative would be to frag into pieces and start from a frag again. :(.
Cut it off at the base. You can glue it back and it will re-encrust on the new rock just fine.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same when I broke down my 120. Used channel locks to break most colonies free. Most were to big to cut with bone cutters. Some I had to remove the rock to cut. Many I just fragged and regrew.
The purple stylo I fragged so my wife bleached the rest and used it in her artwork display.
It really depends on the colony size as I had to give some away.

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base of my purple stylo is white but has polyps, is that a sign it’s better to frag or can it still encrust again? Up in the top left.
1C0048C3-A4C3-4B6A-B840-882DB0ABCB79.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base of my purple stylo is white but has polyps, is that a sign it’s better to frag or can it still encrust again? Up in the top left.
1C0048C3-A4C3-4B6A-B840-882DB0ABCB79.jpeg

That is how my stylo grows too (white polyps at the base

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are white at the base because no sunlight reaches that spot, so the coral redirects the zooxanthellae to the upper parts. The coral is still alive in that area :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back