Tips on buying new lens

DarkSephiroth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Nikon D3100 and i need to get some lens. However, i don't know what the number means. All i see is f/1.4G, f/1.8G, and i don't know whats the differences are. Any tips or suggestion on it?

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers relate to the largest aperture (opening) available in that specific lens that will allow light through to the camera sensor. The smaller the number, the larger the opening, the better it can take pictures in lower light. HERE is a good read on aperture with lots of information and diagrams to help you understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and depth-of-field.

Typically, the consumer lens has a f/3.5 lens and the professional lens ranges from f/1.4 to f/2.8. As you look at the f/1.4 and f/2.8 lenses, the price gets significantly higher vs the f/3.5. In many cases, the build quality is also better. Please note that most, if not all, macro pictures of corals are usually taken at f/8 or higher, to get as much in focus as possible (called depth-of-field).

OP
OP
D

DarkSephiroth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 50mm lens good enough to take picture like this?
Because im planning on getting this one when they release it Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S

The pictures below are good enough for me since i can't afford a 90mm+ macro lens (they go for $500+)
DSC_3590.jpg

DSC_3528.jpg

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as you realize thats more of an indoor portrait lens.

also the minimum focus distance is
"Minimum Focus Distance 1.48ft.(0.45m)"

unless you crop and zoom in you wont be able to get to that level of photos.

dmorazan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 mm is a normal lens, i s a nice lens must likly very fast the lower the f stops the fater the lens but a micro lens is good for closeups.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back