Tips on Digitata polyp extension?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Morpheosz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Morpheosz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2021
Messages
342
Reaction score
212
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fire digitata for 18 months or so. For the first 6-9 months, it was gorgeous with full polyp extension and it grew quite a bit. Then my tank went through a 2-3 month hardship where things got out of whack and a few corals died back or lost altogether, and during this time the digitata stopped extending. Then for the last 6-9 months or so, everything has been very happy and growing like crazy. The digitata has at least doubled in size in this period so it seems happy but I've had virtually no polyp extension since that period. It looks pretty ugly, in spite of it growing. I have a ton of other coral in the tank and it's all growing quite well. I also have a tabling acro that did the same thing, was super fuzzy for 6 months, died back a bunch, and since has shown no polyp extension but has doubled in size and regrown all the dead stuff and then some. I don't want to mess too much with success because overall the tank is thriving but it's a bummer to have this digitata, which is a centerpiece of the tank, looking so dull. Any suggestions on possible causes / solutions?

Here is a pic of the coral in question plus the overall tank:

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_7640.JPG
 
Does it extend during lights out? It's possible that perhaps there's something pecking at them. A fish maybe?
 
Yeah they're all uniformly unextended. There isn't anything picking on them and I haven't added anything between the 6 months they were and since. It's a systemic change that happened when my tank went through its rough patch as far as I can tell.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new