Tips to get Anthias eat frozen

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I just gotten some resplendent anthias & had placed them inside box for easy feeding.
This is just the second day, I tried NLS, TDO, Hikari, frozen brine & mysis but they yet to takes any interested on those food, only once a while i
saw one of them nip something from water column.

I know is going to be difficult to get them to eat, but i would preferable if they able to take frozen.
So my question would be, is it recommended to release them into the display tank after a week or 2 from the qt box if they still yet to eat?
At least maybe if they saw the other fish eat it could caught their attractions?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live baby brine shrimp should get them interested in food if you have any on hand.

Its also only the second day, I only start to worry on the third day.

They have high metabolism so they do need to feed often 3x-4x per day, so they won't last long without food.

My anthias eat everything, they are pigs and horrible beggars. But they took a couple of days to get into the rhythm.

I think they just need to settle in, I would release them if they are in the tank already.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe try some selcon to enrich the food and make it more enticing for them?

Is there any alternative to selcon? As my place selcon is very hard to come by. Even there is, there's bottle that is without expiry date.

Live baby brine shrimp should get them interested in food if you have any on hand.

Its also only the second day, I only start to worry on the third day.

They have high metabolism so they do need to feed often 3x-4x per day, so they won't last long without food.

My anthias eat everything, they are pigs and horrible beggars. But they took a couple of days to get into the rhythm.

I think they just need to settle in, I would release them if they are in the tank already.

Do you think i should just stop try feeding at all and start it back after another 2 days? Let them starve without any food source.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there any alternative to selcon? As my place selcon is very hard to come by. Even there is, there's bottle that is without expiry date.

Do you think i should just stop try feeding at all and start it back after another 2 days? Let them starve without any food source.

brightwell garlic power? i'm unsure of other alternatives, sorry.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no, I would just suggest to maintain your regular feeding schedule, they will learn the schedule. I'm sure they will eat today or else tomorrow.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brightwell garlic power? i'm unsure of other alternatives, sorry.

Is ok,i think the thing most closest to selcon should be some brightwell product.

no, I would just suggest to maintain your regular feeding schedule, they will learn the schedule. I'm sure they will eat today or else tomorrow.

Ok. A good news and a bad news.
Good news is i finally saw feeding responses from them. The bad was 1 of them too nervous during feeding session and jump into the main tank.

Now should i capture it back ?
Or continue as such with the remaining anthias still pellet feeding in box?
Or i should just remove the remains anthias from box to tank?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the display? Just asking because my limited experience has been they can hide and just dart in and out for food if there are larger food aggressive fish and not get enough.

EDIT: My experience is with a group of disbar that were kept in observation for over a month and eating well before going into the DT.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the display? Just asking because my limited experience has been they can hide and just dart in and out for food if there are larger food aggressive fish and not get enough.

EDIT: My experience is with a group of disbar that were kept in observation for over a month and eating well before going into the DT.

I got a clownfish, chromis and some fairy wrasse

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put them in the main display and get them eating live brine shrimp until they start eating frozen mysis. PE mysis is great high protein food.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have a cute habbit of hugging my rock structure and pretending to be air while staring at me if they are starled.

Otherwise they are pretty much out and about.

I have 4 lyres + 3 Cariberryi.

My Lyres have issues with my Red Longfin Fairy... more like my Fairy has issues with the Lyres, or it thinks its a male anthias and always goes after them.

I had to go though like 5 different frozen before they set.
They eat almost everything now, including flakes and pellets, they seem to learn from each other, so if one of them eats, they will copy.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. Shall place all into the tank. Anyhow i tried to feed with some frozenmysis mix copepod mix brine to the one that jump out,can see it still eat. Hopefully it able to brave itself up for future feeding

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. Shall place all into the tank. Anyhow i tried to feed with some frozenmysis mix copepod mix brine to the one that jump out,can see it still eat. Hopefully it able to brave itself up for future feeding

the key is getting them to watch one of them eat.

As i said, once one of them realize its food, and starts chasing after it, they turn into a pack of Piranha.

Also according to Randy, he said we should give them a variaty of food, and not just mysis.
Mysis only diets are not good for fish.

I would also do a round of Kanaplex + Focus for a couple of days, just incase...
You soak the frozen cubes in kana and focus binds the kana to food.

But i lost a group of randalls to Uro.
But if your guys had Uro you'd probably see it within a couple of days.

OP
OP
foxngn

foxngn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, they been hanging out together & brave enough to swim out to open area. Also they manage to chase food instead of waiting food to serve in front of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back