OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility of adding per port float valve shut offs similar to robotank? That is a great feature to physically cut power in case of chip/sensor failure.

This could be automated through Home Assistant or more inputs attached to the CANbus port.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on brushing up docs and case details, but testing goes on with real equipment.

On the front of new data, I present Marketing vs Reality, Reef Crest edition:
IMG_5987.png

IMG_5986.jpeg

Or as I’ll call it now, slightly perturbed sawtooth mode.

Last edited:

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on brushing up docs and case details, but testing goes on with real equipment.

On the front I present Marketing vs Reality, Reef Crest edition:
IMG_5987.png

IMG_5986.jpeg

Or as I’ll call it now, slightly perturbed sawtooth mode.
Does DCBuddy output XML?
Are those grafana charts?
They look a bit like my charts :p
1.png

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does DCBuddy output XML?
Are those grafana charts?
They look a bit like my charts :p
1.png

This is Home Assistant’s charting function, since it’s using ESPHome firmware that’s automatic. I can turn on a Prometheus exporter in the firmware if you’re interested in integrating into Grafana/Prom :cool:

Last edited:

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Home Assistant’s charging function, since it’s using ESPHome firmware that’s automatic. I can turn on a Prometheus exporter in the firmware if you’re interested in integrating into Grafana/Prom :cool:
That would be awesome! I actually use telegraf + influxdb + grafana to pull data from Apex, Focustronic and an Awair so this would fit nicely with my metrics.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome! I actually use telegraf + influxdb + grafana to pull data from Apex, Focustronic and an Awair so this would fit nicely with my metrics.

Noted!

Since you have a bunch of wall mount stuff, I am iterating on the wall mount bracket and cable retention system. Its a bit overbuilt at the moment, but the dovetails make it easy to slide the case in place, which is the critical part to get right since I'm going to be printing off a lot of cases :cool:

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5990.jpeg

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted!

Since you have a bunch of wall mount stuff, I am iterating on the wall mount bracket and cable retention system. Its a bit overbuilt at the moment, but the dovetails make it easy to slide the case in place, which is the critical part to get right since I'm going to be printing off a lot of cases :cool:

IMG_5988.jpeg

IMG_5990.jpeg
Looks nice! The dovetails are a great idea. Are you planning to add those STLs or F3D files to the GitHub repo?

biznatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be automated through Home Assistant or more inputs attached to the CANbus port.

True, but having a hardware failsafe independent of either of those is always nice to have in case HA goes down (currently trying to fix my install that's been running for years) or sensor failure.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered mine

Beat me to sending DMs to everyone, but someone had to be first! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I've reached out to everyone who expressed interest with a DM. If you didn't get one, I'm sorry, feel free to DM me or click the link in the signature for more details.

I'm still waiting on some more DC cords to show up - you can always use Amazon and other sources in the interim if I don't have enough of them.

Note that some devices take a 2.1mm center pin (my ReefWave/Gyres) and others a 2.5mm center pin (VorTechs notably). You can use really inexpensive adapters, or just use 2.5mm cables of the spring-inner-pin variety. I'm qualifying with mostly 2.5mm inner-spring 18AWG cables which are more universal.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there / will there be a way to mix voltages. E.g. 4 outputs at 24v and 3 at 12V?

Right now, not on one unit. All 7 outlets are on the same voltage.

I'm still debating whether to do a mixed 24/12V, or add a "hub" which can do the conversion. I kept it simple for this go around, but see advantages to both approaches for different uses (small tank vs big tank, etc).

My lean is to bring back the split voltage setup, doing 4x24V and 3x12V. I can get it into the same form factor (same case, same board shape, etc) with a total of 5A output on the 12V by just swapping the utility DC/DC.

If you're interested, this is a quick spin I can do in a month or less once I have the originals accounted for.

Edit: Its probably even easier than I thought, but it's a different PCB. Again, if you're interested in a split 24V/12V, give me a few weeks to get that queued up. The firmware and rest of the work is nearly identical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there / will there be a way to mix voltages. E.g. 4 outputs at 24v and 3 at 12V?

Ok, fine, a teaser, since I could recycle parts of the design from the original prototype ;)

It's a 4x (24-36V) and 3x12V (fixed) split. I'm focusing first on the 7x-same-output, but will add a prototype order when I order the second batch in a week or two. Nearly everything is the same, except for a much bigger converter to make 12V.

1716183030561.png

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5999.jpeg

And an updated cable guard attached to the wall mount bracket. It’s designed to rest against most cable over molds to prevent unintended pull-outs. There are some challenges with different cables and over mold lengths so I’m doing some further experiments.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, fine, a teaser, since I could recycle parts of the design from the original prototype ;)

It's a 4x (24-36V) and 3x12V (fixed) split. I'm focusing first on the 7x-same-output, but will add a prototype order when I order the second batch in a week or two. Nearly everything is the same, except for a much bigger converter to make 12V.

1716183030561.png
Sign me up for this one!
I will need to be patient :p

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vortechs say they are 32v not 24v, unless im missing something can the dcbuddy support 32v ?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vortechs say they are 32v not 24v, unless im missing something can the dcbuddy support 32v ?

Let me guess, MP60wQD? That’s one model I don’t have. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Yes, 32V will work just fine - all ports will be at 32V. The trick is sourcing a 32V supply - both 30V and 36V are common, 32 much less so.

This can be done with an adjustable Meanwell, but will need a cable adapter for the bare-wire power supplies. I have one planned but not ready yet. Stay tuned.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back